Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout - MY SQL

Hello,

Our report - which is based on MY SQL Queries - seems to experience difficulties regarding the scheduled refresh. This is the error that we got back: 

If anyone can offer any advice or provide further information that would be highly appreciatedGateway Refresh ErrorGateway Refresh Error

Comments
andre1cote
Regular Visitor

FYI I simply reboot the computer that has the Gateway Installed.

Gateway seems to have memory leak...

Capture.JPG

Can anyone reboot their computer with gateway and try a refresh. 

I run a automated task scheduler that reboots the computer with gateway on it every day at 4:00AM

Keep me posted if this workaround works for anyone else

A+

andre1cote
Regular Visitor

New method for me

Programmed a scheduled task to stop/start gateway service

Here is the comand lines to be used:

net STOP PBIEgwService

net START PBIEgwService

I do this on gateway PC about 15 minutes before scheduled refresh to flush memory...

Andre

WATYF
Helper II

@andre1cote

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I setup a task to restart my gateway machine every night at 2am, but a few days after I did I still got the same error (which only occurs randomly for me and not always for the same Dataset refresh).

jscherb
Regular Visitor

Update -- Microsoft posted an update in O365 Admin Console:

Title: Stale data in Power BI

User Impact: Users may see stale data in their dashboard and reports. Data refreshes may also fail intermittently for users.

More info: While we're focused on remediation, users may be able to perform a manual refresh as a workaround.

Current status: Our analysis of log data to identify the cause of the problem is taking longer than expected. We've collected additional logging and continue to investigate.

Scope of impact: This issue could potentially affect any of your users intermittently if they're routed through the affected infrastructure.

Start time: Monday, October 30, 2017, at 6:00 PM UTC

Next update by: Thursday, November 2, 2017, at 12:30 AM UTC

jmbull
Advocate I

Any updates? I've been getting this error since 11/2. I have updated my personal gateway, restarted, etc. to no avail. 

The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Cluster URIWABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity IDcb8fafb5-aaf5-432d-8699-d738ca809aad
Request ID58b616d3-1f4a-b5af-e731-e74428037a24
Time2017-11-06 14:32:55Z

Locally, my On-Premises Data Gateway says "All Set Up" and "Connected."

stephen1606
Frequent Visitor

I was having the same issues but in the data source settings I unticked the "Navigate using Full hierachy" box and republished the report. I was then able to refresh manually and the scheduled refreshes worked too. 

jmbull
Advocate I

I didn't have that option checked but, interestingly, simply re-publishing solved the issue for manual refresh. I'm hopeful that it will do likewise for the scheduled refresh.

jscherb
Regular Visitor

I'm hopeful for you that that solves your issue.  I've been successful in restarting the "On-prem data gateway" service (as suggested further back in this thread), and getting a manual refresh to work immediately after, and even once the next scheduled refresh worked.  However, it always reverted to failing subsequent scheduled refreshes.  Please let us know if that does fix the problem! 

I would encourage everybody that is having this issue to open a ticket with Microsoft.  It's possible that it is an issue with something that we're all doing, in which case MS should be able to help.  If it is an issue with MS -- then they will asssign more resources to the problem if the issue is reported more. 

Have a great Wednesday everybody! 

dniedrauer
Resolver I

I am having the same issue. Everything is installed and up to date. Data model is complex, and I don't have time to check every query to see if Microsoft f*cked up in not being able to update valid SQL statements. 

Hide
On demand11/8/2017, 3:12:21 PM11/8/2017, 5:12:41 PMFailedThe gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout.
Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:086bf568-ea45-44d1-82b2-391cad03d0dc
Request ID:3620ca99-eefe-a056-4cf5-46ba8acaf78d
Time:2017-11-08 23:12:41Z
jmbull
Advocate I

Confirming that simply republishing my .pbix files corrected the issue for both manual and scheduled refresh.