Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout - MY SQL

Hello,

Our report - which is based on MY SQL Queries - seems to experience difficulties regarding the scheduled refresh. This is the error that we got back: 

If anyone can offer any advice or provide further information that would be highly appreciatedGateway Refresh ErrorGateway Refresh Error

Comments
MyraMa
Advocate II

I have to say the error message is quite misleading. I got the same issue. But it is actually because one of data tables failed validation. After I fix my data issue, it's back to normal refreshing. 

If your report was refreshing fine before but all of a sudden doesn't work, I suggest you should try to recall what has been changed and try to find out the problem of your data sets. But the cause might be various. 

All the good luck!

Cheers

Myra

dniedrauer
Resolver I

I spoke with support and found out it was because it draws from a View that loads very slowly (only 6 rows/second), so it times out eventually. The solution was to include fewer columns in the import, and that resolved the issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been a very frustrating few days before and after Christmas figuring out why a dataset refreshes fine in Power BI Desktop but fails on the cloud service with the useless/deceptive message "The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout." All our time has been spent chasing down the many different possibilities listed on these now 6 pages of comments. But it wasn't a gateway or relationship issue. It took me rebuilding the dataset from scratch one table at a time, publishing to the service each time I added a table, then refreshing from the service, to find the culprit table, but I was still getting the wrong "timeout" message. So I created a dataset with just the one faulty table, and the error message finally changed to the helpful "not a legal OleAut date" message. Then, thanks to these guys, it was a quick fix to handle years 0016 and 0017 from the ERP.

k1wong
Regular Visitor

We are facing the same issue.

muneern
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I had the same problem -- but wasnt able to easily identify the root cause, since there were many dates that were at extreme ends of the range (e.g. Year 0001 or year 9999)

This is what I did to fix it:

1. Added a custom column in the with the following formula:
    NewColumn = Number.From([Due Date])
  2. Convert custom column to decimal number
  3. Sort the table by this column

This then gave the following error, which I could use to identify the problematic records in the table:

Date Error.png

I hope this helps someone else.