Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

The DAX Formula Bar is working differently

Hi,

Please someone from Power BI community help me in figuring this out. I started my power BI today and while inputing the DAX measure, it's looking and well working differently. Please help me in understanding do I need to alter any setting or why it's working this way. 

Below is the image of Power BI formula bar. It has the square box icon and slightly different in using also.

@GuyInACube @Anonymous 

Error.png

Comments
kavitabehera
Advocate II

@edhans 

Thanks you for you prompt response and all the help. There is no major issues because I also didn't used it very extensively. But I found this format bit difficult in navigating.

CraigsterT
Advocate I

Hi All,
Agreed , it does appear that the make over of the DAX editor is very unproductive when authoring code as the user now experiences giant pop ups appearing and obscuring large , if not all, of the preceding code in the editor window. it's very distracting for the user and increases the complexity of both writing and learning DAX which I am sure all will agree, is at the very heart of Power BI. I have many screenshots and can point you by way of example to many other users who share my opinions. Are there are any plans to change or modify this feature in a future release, as it has created a very poor impression of the product for new adopters trying to learn and execute the language of Power BI and a diminished user experience for long time users like myself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

100000% agree with the above.  

kavitabehera
Advocate II

@CraigsterT 

Thanks for sharing your view and I absolutely agree. I am quiet mad with this update. It actually increased the time and made poor impression.

We all have so many old DAX snaps or formula for better tips and tricks. This version changed it all.

ERD
Super User
Super User

@kavitabehera , as far as I can see it now resembels Visual Studio intellisense: 

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/intellisense

For the time being I don't like it, too, as I'm used to the previous version. We'll see how it goes..

JWedge
Helper II

Also, not a fan here. Don't love the new look but I can get used to that if it works. Having real issues with slowdown in some reports, Power BI locking up for minutes at a time when trying to edit or even just open certain measures but I cannot see any pattern to why.

Another annoyance is that undo/redo used to persist after updating a measure. Even after updating a different measure and returning, option to undo changes persisted. This is now gone.

airwolf39
Helper V

I echo everyone else's concerns. This new system is horrible. I hate it. And the update took all my tables (30 of them) and jumbled them up. 

JWedge
Helper II

Regarding the locking up issue I mentioned, it appears the culprit is CALCULATETABLE. As soon as I try to add a filter argument Power BI freezes for a few minutes or seemingly forever and I end up force closing it. Never had this problem before the update. Anyone else come across this?

Using FILTER instead which has no problems.

edhans
Super User

Interesting @JWedge 

I just created this measure with no problem. 

edhans_0-1634605232111.png

Not saying you don't have an issue, but it isn't CALCULATETABLE() in all cases. Can you provide more info on what  you doing? Is it in a measure, or are you creating a calculated table? Is it in a variable, etc.?

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

Hi everyone,

For issues related to the new DAX formula bar, you may message PG directly with the detailed information.

See post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DAX-IntelliSense-October-2021-Crash/idi-p/2137945