Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Text box font controls drop off screen

When editing a large Text box, which nears the end of the report page, the font control bar drops off the screen. I'm not 100% positive, but I thought to remember that in earlier versions this behavior was different (i.e. the font controls where aligned based on the cursor position when typing). However, as it is, the font controls seems glued to the bottom of the Text box (with some offset taken into account), which means that when the Text box becomes large enough, the font controls get dropped off the screen. A simple workaround for the time being is to shrink the Text box while editing, however, this quickly becomes annoying when editing often.

font controls.png

Other than that, it would be nice to have some more user-friendly font controls and editing options in the text box, but I guess this is the wrong section for that. 🙂

Thanks for fixing the position of the font controls.

Cheers,

Niels

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@C4YNelis 

You may adjust Page alignment options and share feedback via Ideas to help improve Power BI.

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Dear @v-chuncz-msft ,

thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately neither option works for me. In both cases the font controls drop off the page. I'm working with Information pages in my report which cover nearly the entire page, so there is little room to move the Text box across the screen.

Wkbdrguy
Employee

Seeing the same issue where the font/text size control box dropes of the screen (9/2020 version) or is in the way and cannot see under it while typing about a visual. It would be better to have up in the tool bar or on the right side and not as a pop-up.

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Just to add to this, I found another workaround other than changing the size of the text field, which is to add many panels to the right (bookmarks, selections, as many as needed), to make sure that your textfield will be smaller in height than in width. If at that point, you select the textfield, your font control box will be placed somewhere and it will stay there as long as you keep the text field active (even if you close your selection panel, filter panel, bookmarkpanel, etc. again). It's just a quicker workaround, not a solution to anything.

Something else, if and when the font controls are reworked, there are many other things that would be nice to have, but one thing in particular is really bugging me when working with the font controls, which is that when you change your font (for instance different size or character type) and you manually change the cursor position, it forgets your chosen font settings and you need to set them again. (This is at least true for the size and character type, I have not specifically tested if this is true for different settings as well). Maybe this should become a separate issue though.

It's particularly annoying when working with large texts, if you need to lookup something and are therefore switching between blocks of texts to edit something you previously wrote. To be complete, I should probably mention that I do work with a JSON theme file, however, I don't believe this has any effect to the behaviour of the textfields.