Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Test RLS for all reports that share a single dataset?

Hi,

I have a problem. I have multpile reports build on a single dataset and currently it's only possible to test RLS on firtly created report. 

Assuming that I have dataset 1, I can easily test as role in firt report (A), but after developing reports B and C from the same dataset I'm not able to control what users see in these reports.

RLS.PNG

RLS2.PNG

Any recommendation? In the past it was possible with this trick:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-test-RLS-for-all-reports-that-share-a-single-dataset...

But now after the navigation panal changed, it is not longer possible to access workspace elements.

Thanks

Hi @Majkel 

This is happening because PG gradually upgrading UI as part of Trident effort so this is a new component intended to replace old functionality.
PG gives a workaround : to apply `?tridentStageTwo=0` flag to url .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Majkel 

I created a report in Desktop and configure the RLS , then I published the report to Service , the dataset name is RLS test . I created a report named RLS test 2 in Service with the shared dataset . Then I tested the role in two reports , the RLS of each report takes effect .

Recording 2022-08-29 at 14.01.00.gif

Best Regards,

Majkel
Helper I

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

Many thanks for your reply and prepared solution! 

Yes, this solution worked for me also in the past, but.... my navigation panel on the left hand side doesn't look like yours. Actually, it has changed after latest update in the Power BI Service, so currently I cannot extend it to see workspace elements and switch between them, as you have done.  That's really strange considering the fact you've recorded your video today 😀

Do you think there is a bug on my navigation panel? While I'm clicking on workspace icon (the latest on the navigation panel) there is no action. Maybe there is a chance to reverse the change?

Majkel_0-1661763298361.png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @Majkel 

Your navigation panel doesn't seem to have an extended button, which may be why you can't toggle . Is it the same with your other colleagues ? Where are your tenants located ? 

Best Regards,

Majkel
Helper I

@v-yetao1-msft 

Thanks for you help. Yes, this issue also exists for ca. 50% users in our organisation. Our tenant is located in North Europe (Ireland). What is your advise what we could do to solve this problem?

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @Majkel 

I see that other users seem to have the same problem , I need to confirm their tenant location , if they are all in the same area , I will report this problem with the people at ICM .

Best Regards,

Majkel
Helper I

@v-yetao1-msft, thank you so much for your support.

I hope this bug will be able to be resolved soon. In my organisation I have confirmed more than 30 cases of missing button on the navigation panel. 

Best regards,

Michal Zawal

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @Majkel 

I have submitted your issue to ICM , ID is 331892384If there is progress, I will come back and update . 

Best Regards,

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Majkel 

This is happening because PG gradually upgrading UI as part of Trident effort so this is a new component intended to replace old functionality.
PG gives a workaround : to apply `?tridentStageTwo=0` flag to url .

Best Regards,

Majkel
Helper I

@v-yetao1-msft, that's great. It works for me well.

Thank you so much for your support, assistance in this problem and providing the workaround. I'm keeping fingers crossed for resolving the issue at the product level!

Thanks and regards,

Michal Zawal