Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Resolved in 2.82 (June version): Templates cannot be opened in power bi desktop after update to 2.81

After updating to the 2.81 May version i get error when i want to open my power bi templates created in an older version. Probably made in 2.79 or 2.80. My colleague has not updated yet and het doesn't get that error.

'................pbit' if corrupt or an invalid report file

Comments
Ultimo-ss-Henry
Frequent Visitor

sshot-1.png

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Ultimo-ss-Henry 

I cannot reproduce the issue. You could also create a support ticket for assistance.

Ultimo-ss-Henry
Frequent Visitor

I've created a support ticket for the issue

cygnex
Advocate I

I am getting the same error after the May update.

It seems to occur for me only when a Power BI dataset is used as the data source, I do not get the error when using a template based on  SQL Server.

I tried creating a new template with a new power bi dataset and I still get the error. 

Ultimo-ss-Henry
Frequent Visitor

I've created an issue and have been informed that it will be resoved in the june version

cygnex
Advocate I
Do we know if the issue occurs for only templates based on Power BI Datasets or is it more board than that? Not sure what we are supposed to do for the next month, since our reporting process involves authors start with the baseline template for any new reports.
Ultimo-ss-Henry
Frequent Visitor

We had the problem with templates based on power bi datasets. I'm not sure what the development team found to be the root issue. We were able to use an older version (march) in the meantime. 

danning1234
Advocate I

Hi,

i have a version of PBI Desktop 2.81.5831.1181 64-bit (May 2020).

Template is working fine when the source is connected to sql.

However, when the data is from PBI Dataset, the exported .pbit file can not be opened.

danning1234_0-1594236623502.png

And we can not easily switch to the older version because it is managed by the IT...

Is there an estimated date for the correction?

Thanks.

cygnex
Advocate I

The June release fixed this issue for our company.

We had the same problem with tempaltes after upgrading to the May release.

I would update to the June release on a test machine and try your template(s). 

danning1234
Advocate I

Hi @cygnex , do you use PBI Dataset as souce and export the report to .pbit?

Thank you.