Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Table visuals not loading

I have a problem with Power BI reports with live connection to AAS tabular model. The table visuals suddenly stopped working in early November (and I didn't make any changes to the model and report at that time). The loading icon is visible until timeout, then it throws an error message “Visual has exceeded available resources”:
MartynaM_1-1639134879431.png

The problem occurs in several reports that are connected to the same model and also in one test report that is connected to a different AAS model. 

I found out the issue is caused by measures that are added to these visuals. The purpose of these measures is to mask values in several columns (using RLS) without hiding other data from users.

I did some testing and my conclusions are as follows:
  • The complexity of the measure does not matter (it can be a simple measure that returns “abc” string)
  • If you add a measure to the visual where only one fact/dimension table is used – everything works fine
  • The problem arises when columns from multiple tables are included in the visualization with measure:
    • If the tables included are small, it takes a few minutes for the visualization to load (before the problem occurred it took only a few seconds to load)
    • If the tables included are relatively big, the visual is loading forever and after some time (about an hour) it throws an error message “Visual has exceeded available resources”

The problem occurs both in the PBI service and desktop for all users.

Any ideas?

Hi @MartynaM 

Based on your description, I think you need simplify your Measure, including simplify its calculation and the data amount. Meanwhile, you may use Performance Analyzer to help you identify how long your dax formula or data query will take. For more details, you can refer Use Performance Analyzer to examine report element performance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Micr... 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @MartynaM 

Based on your description, I think you need simplify your Measure, including simplify its calculation and the data amount. Meanwhile, you may use Performance Analyzer to help you identify how long your dax formula or data query will take. For more details, you can refer Use Performance Analyzer to examine report element performance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Micr... 

Best Regards,

MartynaM

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

As I mentioned in the description, the complexity of the measure does not matter. The problem also occurs when a measure that returns an empty string "" is added to the visualization.

Performance Analyzer cannot help in this case. When a timeout occurs, the results of Performance Analyzer are not available.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @MartynaM 

Thanks for your reply. May I know how you create the relations for these tables? Is the logic of your RLS complicated? Is the amount of data to be queried relatively large? Is you reduce the data amount by set filters in Filters Pane, will you get the same issue?

vcazhengmsft_0-1639473922846.png

Best Regards,

MartynaM

Hi @v-cazheng-msft 

When I apply a filter to the visualization to show only one row, it takes about 5 minutes to load so I have the same issue even after reducing the data amount.

The relations between tables are based on PK-FK, which are taken from a data warehouse.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @MartynaM 

Thanks for your reply. If so, I do suggest you opening a support ticket by following the steps in blog below and there will be a support engineer help you on this issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,