Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Table reference error

I'm using a lot of VAR a1 = something. Often this 'something' is a table or a calculation to get a table. My problem happens when I call a static table the same as the VAR. So the first scenario without an existing static table called a1.

VAR 1.png

How I see it happening, usually when referencing a table you use the apostrophe. For a VAR reference, you don't use it. 

VAR 2.pngVAR 3.png

For what I've been told by our Microsoft representative is that the priority start with the static tables and then shift to the VAR reference. As there exist a a1 table in the second scenario, he assumes you want to use that one. 

My solution would be simple. If a table reference contains an apostrophe in the beginning, it is referencing to a static table. Is there no apostrophe, it is referencing a VAR table. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DouweMeer

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 122109157. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

DouweMeer
Post Prodigy

@v-qiuyu-msft  Top! I'll be waiting.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DouweMeer

I got information that this is mentioned in the document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/var-dax#parameters

Term Definition
name The name of the variable (identifier).
Delimiters are not supported. For example, ‘varName’ or [varName] will result in an error.
Supported character set: a-z, A-Z, 0-9.
0-9 are not valid as first character.
__ (double underscore) is allowed as a prefix to the identifier name.
No other special characters are supported.
Reserved keywords not allowed.
Names of existing tables are not allowed.
Empty spaces are not allowed.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

DouweMeer
Post Prodigy

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Lazy people 1 - Perfectionists 0 

I consider myself to be a bit of both. It annoys me, but it will suffice. Already taught myself to name my VAR's something that will never be a table's name.