Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Switch Theme feature is not working correctly for Power BI Desktop data model

I have a Power BI Desktop data model conected to a database. I have created new reports applying a theme based in a JSON file. I'm trying to change the theme, importing new themes using the preview feature "Switch Theme - Import Theme" but Power BI Desktop doesn't change anything in my reports.
It works correctly if Power BI Desktop is conected to a SSAS tabular model.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rsesma

What is your database and which theme do you use? I just tried to import the theme of Spring Day to May 2017 version of Power BI Desktop, I could see the color changes as below.

Switch Theme feature is not working correctly for Power BI Desktop data model_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

rsesma
Regular Visitor

Ok, I think now I know where the problem is.

In my reports, I had selected some colors from the palette that are not the default color, but they are in the theme. Those colors are not changing. If all the colors in the graphs are in Revert to default mode, they change correctly.

How could I change the background color of my report and of my text boxes? Is there a code for that?

Best regards.

Rocio

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rsesma

After you import the theme, you can go to format pane to change the background color when you select no visual, and change the text boxes color when you select the text box visual as below.

Switch Theme feature is not working correctly for Power BI Desktop data model_2.jpgSwitch Theme feature is not working correctly for Power BI Desktop data model_3.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

rsesma
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the answer.

I would like to change it by JSON theme file with an automatic code. Is it possible?

Best regards.

Rocío

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rsesma

Do you mean that you want to use an automatic code instead of manually clicking 'Switch Theme' in Home ribbon of Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards,
Herbert 

rsesma
Regular Visitor

No, It's not that.

I would like that when I apply a theme, in my reports the background color of the report and the background color of text boxes would change.

Is it possible?

Best regards. 

Rocío

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rsesma

I don't think it is possible now. You can create an idea in https://ideas.powerbi.com.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Betacom
Frequent Visitor

I would think that most people's expectation is that an imported theme will override any custom changes already made.  That's the whole point of importing themes.  I guess they could provide an option/promt to preserve customizations.  But, by default, the imported theme should overwrite.