Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Suspicion: One Power BI report breaks Microsoft authentication permanently from Desktop to any servi

One of our clients said that his Power BI report stopped working yesterday.

I wasn't able to find out what was wrong, so I asked him to send the report to me for testing.

After the testing I have identical problems that he has:

- Issue is not connected to any company: we have laptops from different companies and use different networks

- Source system is (has been) always Power BI Desktop

- Destination is any data source that needs Microsoft Azure authentication

- After we used this problem report, the same problem is with other reports

- Rebooting laptop doesn't help

- Reinstalling Desktop doesn't help

- He uses 2022-04 Desktop and I use the latest, so the version doesn't matter

- On first attempt I got a list of my Microsoft accounts. But I was unable to select any of them and had to cancel it. We both have multiple accounts.

- After that when we try to log in with Microsoft user account, we get a screen on the display, but it stays so short time we can barely see that there was something at all. Impossible to read it.

- I am unable to use any of my Microsoft accounts now, so I can't develop to other clients either.

- Error text: We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later.

- Global credentials have been wiped clean on Desktop reinstallation and local creadentials can't be the issue.

- We are not using gateways, I just chose it because it is compulsory field.

I have tried to Google how to cleanse away everything that looks like a cached Microsoft account, but so far no luck with that.

Hi @TimoRiikonen @Zarek @Tutu_in_YYC,

It’s a known issue(ICM 311894322 and ICM 311855579) and the product group is working on the fix. Currently, please try the following workaround.

In Power BI Desktop, enable Options -> Security -> Authentication Browser ->Turn “Use my default web browser” on to use a system browser. For sources that doesn’t work for, please set the Environment variable PQ_DisableEdgeChromiumOAuth to 1 and restart PBIDesktop.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
MNAIR1
Regular Visitor

@v-cazheng-msft , I've made those change in Power BI Desktop, enable Options -> Security -> Authentication Browser ->Turn “Use my default web browser”.

PBI ISSUE.PNG

But when i logged out and try to sign in.  I'm getting now a different error “Page Cannot Be Displayed” Error in Internet Explorer, which is quite strange. Signin was working well originally, till i made those changes on the Power BI Desktop option. So now I've two problems to fix instead of one. Any pointer, pls

TimoRiikonen
Advocate III

New version works for me, but updating to this version worked only on third try:

- Microsoft Store has the old, May, version

- Update link takes you to the old, May, version

- Link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494 works correctly and fetches the latest version. Although the version says Version: 2.105.1143.0 32-bit (*May* 2022), but now tke Desktop doesn't remind me to update to newer version any more. Strange that I got 32-bit version and not 64-bit.

MNAIR1
Regular Visitor
TimoRiikonen
Advocate III

@MNAIR1 Link fixed, thank you.

Calu
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Any updates on this issue? 

Changing the security settings to "default browser" did not help in my case... 

MNAIR1
Regular Visitor

@Calu , try changing the default setting to EDGE. My problem, I was using default setting as Internet explorer which is now dead 😞😥 

Calu
Regular Visitor

@MNAIR1, thank you for the tip. I was using Chrome in general, but I did test with changing to EDGE, but still have the same problem. Although I am thinking there also could be caused by some other internal restrictions. To be continued... 🙂