Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Suspicion: One Power BI report breaks Microsoft authentication permanently from Desktop to any servi

One of our clients said that his Power BI report stopped working yesterday.

I wasn't able to find out what was wrong, so I asked him to send the report to me for testing.

After the testing I have identical problems that he has:

- Issue is not connected to any company: we have laptops from different companies and use different networks

- Source system is (has been) always Power BI Desktop

- Destination is any data source that needs Microsoft Azure authentication

- After we used this problem report, the same problem is with other reports

- Rebooting laptop doesn't help

- Reinstalling Desktop doesn't help

- He uses 2022-04 Desktop and I use the latest, so the version doesn't matter

- On first attempt I got a list of my Microsoft accounts. But I was unable to select any of them and had to cancel it. We both have multiple accounts.

- After that when we try to log in with Microsoft user account, we get a screen on the display, but it stays so short time we can barely see that there was something at all. Impossible to read it.

- I am unable to use any of my Microsoft accounts now, so I can't develop to other clients either.

- Error text: We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later.

- Global credentials have been wiped clean on Desktop reinstallation and local creadentials can't be the issue.

- We are not using gateways, I just chose it because it is compulsory field.

I have tried to Google how to cleanse away everything that looks like a cached Microsoft account, but so far no luck with that.

Hi @TimoRiikonen @Zarek @Tutu_in_YYC,

It’s a known issue(ICM 311894322 and ICM 311855579) and the product group is working on the fix. Currently, please try the following workaround.

In Power BI Desktop, enable Options -> Security -> Authentication Browser ->Turn “Use my default web browser” on to use a system browser. For sources that doesn’t work for, please set the Environment variable PQ_DisableEdgeChromiumOAuth to 1 and restart PBIDesktop.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
TimoRiikonen
Advocate III

Laptop operating systems: Windows 10 20H2 and 10 21H2.

JohnSchown
Advocate I

I am seeing the same problem last night and this morning.  Any connector using Microsoft authentication fails with an error: We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later.

tested so far with Sharepoint folder and Snowflake connectors

My data sources show I am not logged in when I attempt to refresh from PowerBI desktop.  I click sign-in and a pop-up appears for a split second saying that I have sucessfully logged OUT and then closes, then the error descrived above is displayed.

Looks like there is now also a problem in the service.  I tried to manually refresh one of my datasets already posted to a workspace and I got an error "Invalid connection credentials."

BLueersBSS

I am experiencing the same problem. This is a very urgend issue, since there seem to be no possible workaround.

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar

Same here!

JohnSchown
Advocate I

Looks like this was just posted to the Support status site:

Power BI Desktop customers may experience authentication issues attempting to connect to data source using AAD and may see the following error message "We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later". As a workaround customers can go to Power BI Desktop and enable Options -> Security -> Authentication Browser -> “Use my default web browser”. Engineers are investigating the issue and an update will be provided soon.

AlexGorev
Power BI Team

We are investigating this issue. Please apply the mitigation shared in this thread to unblock...

Zarek
Helper I

Have the same problem, but on PBI service.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @TimoRiikonen @Zarek @Tutu_in_YYC,

It’s a known issue(ICM 311894322 and ICM 311855579) and the product group is working on the fix. Currently, please try the following workaround.

In Power BI Desktop, enable Options -> Security -> Authentication Browser ->Turn “Use my default web browser” on to use a system browser. For sources that doesn’t work for, please set the Environment variable PQ_DisableEdgeChromiumOAuth to 1 and restart PBIDesktop.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

TimoRiikonen
Advocate III

Signing in is a bit harder than it used to be, but this fixed the problem on my laptop, thank you.

pandabi23
Regular Visitor

I am still experiencing this issue connecting to a Sharepoint List after downloading latest version per the support update on 6/6. Any guidance as I cannot refresh the report?