Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Streaming dataset fails when historic data analysis is ON

Hi,

I am using several streaming datasets with hybrid API access ("historic data analysis" toggle switched ON), and since 1 week they regularly and randomly fail:

• API push requests return status 500: "SQL operation failed: The Database operation reached a timeout of '00:01:30'"
  • Same error when I try to delete rows from the dataset (either via API or via switching the "historic data analysis" toggle OFF and back ON again)
  • Data is not visible in Power BI Service anymore (creating a new report based on the dataset throws an error: "Somethin went wrong")

So the datasets are basically frozen. No access, and any interaction with them throws an error. Only way to fix was to delete the dataset and recreate it. After using this workaround daily for a week now, I now cannot even create new streaming datasets anymore. Same error as above. 

I already opened a ticket a week ago (119070221000488) which is still open, but the guys are unable to help me. I read on several other posts that realtime streaming datasets regularly show flaky behavior. Is this a common issue?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @tlmnk

I find the ticket owner already contacted you yesterday, if you have any further question, please send the email to ticket owner to get help. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

tlmnk
Regular Visitor

Yes, that's right. I was hoping that someone in the community might have a golden tip, since I read on several places that people had issues with streaming datasets that went berserk. By the way: in the meantime I noticed that when I open a new clean Power BI account, everything works fine. When I register a new user within our organizational account, this user immediately has the same issue. So the problem seems to be attached to the organizational account. I suspect the SQL database in the background of Power BI to be the source of error. But this is a black box to me, with no way to check.

maxavi
Regular Visitor

Related to this. We have been having this exception recently while trying to create a new dataset over API:

{"code":"GeneralException","message":"Failed to process dataset PostDataset","target":"PostDataset","details":[{"message":"SQL operation failed: The Database operation reached a timeout of '00:01:30'"}]

Did something change on the side of Power BI as this was working fine until maybe a couple of weeks ago.. 

tlmnk
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your reply @maxavi! Yes, exactly same issue here. Any operation over API or in the Power BI service UI throws a timeout error. Everything was running smoothly for months until July. Since then we have constant struggles with the streaming datasets.

maxavi
Regular Visitor

Hi @tlmnk good to know we are not the only ones. Spend some hours troubleshooting without success. I will set it aside for now until someone from the team reacts. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!
We have the same problem from the beginning of the previous week. It seems that many people are faced with it.
I also opened a support ticket and now I am talking to a support participant.

I hope the error will be solved soon.

tlmnk
Regular Visitor

At least we are not alone with this problem. @Anonymous we also face this issue exactly since the beginning of the previous week. Latest update I got is from yesterday, where the support engineer said that the product team is working on this with high priority. Keep you posted!

Han12345
Frequent Visitor

I've got the same problem as well... A number of reports worked perfectly for a few weeks and then suddenly stopped working last week. One of them is working again at the moment, but the others aren't.

@tlmnk , please keep me posted on the status of your support ticket. Thanks!  

tlmnk
Regular Visitor

@Han12345 @Anonymous @maxavi : It seems that this morning all my streaming datasets miraculously started working again. Did someone experience the same? 

I didn't hear anything from support yet. So not sure if this is only temporary or if the issue is actually fixed.

Han12345
Frequent Visitor

@tlmnk Yes, same here. Nothing has changed but they started working again.