Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Streaming Data Case Sensitivity in Dashboards/Realtime (but not Reports)

I'm pushing data to a Streaming Data API endpoint using JSON.

In this case, it's just a single channel and a date....

{

"Temperature": 12.42,
   "Date": <date stamp in the correct format>
}

The interesting thing is that reports work correctly with the data regardless of if I submit my data using lowercase names or uppercase names in my JSON, but dashboards refuse to show streaming data updates unless I'm submitting it in uppercase.

I'd suggest that the subscribe function is case-sensitive, where it would probably be better if it was not - JSON is usually submitted lowercase, but the channel names in PowerBI should allow upper-case names for readability. 

At the end of the day it should simply be consistent - either refuse to accept JSON channels that have a different case (which would be very bad in my opinion, but at least it would be consistent), or remove the case-sensitivity from Subscribe (the preferred choice) to allow streaming data to work when there are case differences between the JSON and the configured channels.

Comments
Optrix

At the end of the day it should simply be consistent - either refuse to accept JSON channels that have a different case (which would be very bad in my opinion, but at least it would be consistent), or remove the case-sensitivity from Subscribe (the preferred choice) to allow streaming data to work when there are case differences between the JSON and the configured channels.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Optrix ,

Please check if you have set defaultMode flag to pushStreaming.

When using datasets with the defaultMode flag set to pushStreaming, if a request exceeds the 15Kb size restriction for a streaming dataset, but is less than the 16MB size restriction of a push dataset, the request will succeed and the data will be updated in the push dataset. However, any streaming tiles will temporarily fail.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Optrix

The update was just two data points in JSON - a Temperature and a Date.

The tiles wouldn't update when I used 'temperature' and 'date', but began working correctly when I started to use 'Temperature' and 'Date'. The number of characters didn't change, so the total size of the request should have remained the same. 

However, I could check - how to I check for and set the defaultMode flag? Is it per-source, per-workspace or tenant-wide?