Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stop PBI Desktop from recreating relationships initially deleted by user

Hello,

I am seeing some behaviour in Power BI which i believe should not be the case.

It is relating to inactive relationships being auto-created after they have been deleted, in Power BI Desktop.

When ingesting data with connectivity type ‘Import’ from a SQL DB (AW) source, as auto-detect relationships is on, it detects relationships between tables. This is as expected and can be enabled/disabled in the Options, great.

I then delete the relationship between two tables that I do not require. When I then go through process of ingesting additional data from the same source, Power BI recreates the relationship which I previously deleted as inactive.

I went ahead and disabled ‘Auto detect new relationships after data is loaded’ from Options thinking that this inactive relationship won’t be recreated again each time I Import a new table, but this was still happening.

I was curious so changed the "include relationship columns" and this seems to have done the trick. However, i didn't think this checkbox should offer this result from my understanding on what it does.

I believe once a user deletes a relationship that was autocreated by PBI Desktop, it should not be recreated again once the user imports additional data from the same source.

Thanks,

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  

Please disable all these three options and then try it again.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships#au...

2.JPG

i have tested this on my side, it works well, and my power bi desktop verson is: 2.88.1385.0 64-bit (December 2020)

Regards,

Lin

Data_Laz
Frequent Visitor

Hello Lin,

It would be ideal if we do not have to disable these options from Power BI Desktop, as having PBI Desktop autodetect new relationships is useful and helpful.

The suggestion would be for Power BI Desktop to not autocreate those relationships that were initially deleted by the user. Any other data that is loaded at a later stage, should still have autodetect relationships applied.

Thanks,

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi @Data_Laz 

To my knowledge, for your requirment, it couldn't achieve in power bi for now.

you may submit your idea in here.

Regards,

Lin