Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stacked Area Chart Sort is reversed from what is should be

When sorting a stacked area chart is PowerBI Desktop, the series' order and the legend order are always opposite to each other, whether you click Ascending or Descending. To make proper analytic use of this graph they need to be in the same order.PowerBI stacked area chart.png

Update:

This is a long standing limitation in Power BI Desktop and this is a planned item and should be complete by the fall of 2022, so please stay tuned.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

As far as I know it is by design in Power BI Desktop for the visual, when you sort the visual by the legend, it would affect the tooltip in the visual and the legend sort in the visual, see the below comparison in Line chart visual and Stacked Area Chart visual:

vyingjl_0-1652145412845.pngvyingjl_1-1652145422413.png

Both of them are sorted by Category desc, their tooltip would also be affected to show the corresponding value. But you can see that the values are not different on the visual itself.

If you want to show the value sort, you need to sort by the value, not the legend.

Best Regards,

Swooze
Frequent Visitor

This has been misunderstood and mislabelled as delivered.

Swooze
Frequent Visitor

The problem occurs whether I sort by 'overall value' or not. The problem neccessarily cannot occur in a line chart due to the fundamental difference that in line charts the lines can criss cross over one another (meaning they do not have an order top to bottom). The series's in area charts do not criss cross over each other which means they have to decide on an order top to bottom. This order corresponds with the legend entries order (as it should), but in PowerBI it is the reverse. In other words, whenever my legend is smallest to largest, my graph's series's are largest to smallet, and whenever my legend is A to Z my graph's series's are Z to A.

Swooze
Frequent Visitor

This is a surprising bug in such an amazing visualistation software! When sorting a stacked area chart is PowerBI Desktop, the series' order and the legend order are opposite to each other. They are meant to be in the same order. In other words, whenever my graph's series are sorted A to Z, my legend entries are sorted Z to A.

Just to be clear this problem is entirely unrelated to which field I am sorting by,, and does not apply to line charts or any other chart that does not have a specific order for both the series and the legend. 

Swooze_1-1652321889674.png

P.S.

I already posted this idea but it was misunderstood and labelled as delivered (I am not sure how to get it 'undelivered').

Previous chain:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Stacked-Area-Chart-Sort-is-reversed-from-what-is-should-be/i...

Explanation to the previous misunderstanding:

The problem occurs whether I sort by 'overall value' or not. The problem neccessarily cannot occur in a line chart due to the fundamental difference that in line charts the lines can criss cross over one another (meaning they do not have an order top to bottom). The series's in area charts do not criss cross over each other which means they have to decide on an order top to bottom. This order corresponds with the legend entries order (as it should), but in PowerBI it is the reverse. In other words, whenever my legend is smallest to largest, my graph's series's are largest to smallet, and whenever my legend is A to Z my graph's series's are Z to A.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM: 307481678), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progress about it.

Best Regards,

Swooze
Frequent Visitor

Thankyou!

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Update:

This is a long standing limitation in Power BI Desktop and this is a planned item and should be complete by the fall of 2022, so please stay tuned.

Best Regards,

Swooze
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the update, that's great to hear.

Thanks,

Swooze

Envy

Hi 

I have january 2023 version of Power BI and I do not see this exact feature delivered yet. If it has been delieverd, could you please share insturctions on how I can get the sort order on the legend and the line and stacked chart to match? If its not delievered, when is it planned to be delivered?

Thank you so much!

Envy

Swooze1248

Hello, this is the original poster, Swooze, for some reason I can't login into my previous username, so it's Swooze1248 now. I'm really surprised at this, this is not a weird idea, this is just plain incorrect, like 2 plus 2 equalling five. You click stacked column chart is order a b c, you click legend stacked vertically on right, and it goes c b a. It's an insanely simple problem and yet somehow people have misunderstood this originally and then upon understnading have done nothing. All I can say is I'm not surprised my account bugged out and I had to switch username