Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Specific pbix won't open after the latest desktop update

After downloading the latest version of Power BI Desktop (on 10th August 2022), one of my pbix files will no longer open.

I will get the "Working on it" dialogue box with the spinning wheel but it is just stuck like that.

Other pbix files seem to open fine. File size is not the issue (offending file is <10MB but >200MB is fine to open).

The only real difference between the files is that the ones that work pull most of their data from a SQL server but the one that doesn't pulls data from Excel files in a sharepoint folder and some other Excel files in a shared network drive.

The file does use the additional chiclet slicer but all of the tested files do.

Restarting and fixing the install did not resolve. Opening older version of the file or fresh download from the service did not resolve. Colleague tried to open the file with the latest desktop update installed and he had the same issue as me.

I have installed an older version of PowerBI Desktop (June 2022) and the file works fine with this version so probably something specific with the latest desktop version causing the issue.

Hi @GlenPaxman,

May I know whether you still have this issue? If it still happens, could you please tell me more details about your pbix?

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
AilsaTaoYe
Regular Visitor

Hi @GlenPaxman 

Do you mean that only this specific file cannot be opened using the August version of Desktop? Then open the report with the version of July and upload it to the Service. Then download it and open it with the Desktop of August. Can it be opened normally? If it still doesn't work, can you delete some sensitive information in it and upload your PBIX file? I will test it here.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @GlenPaxman,

May I know whether you still have this issue? If it still happens, could you please tell me more details about your pbix?

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun