cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowflake warehouse (is not) suspended

I'm trying to connect to Snowflake. I'm able to do this with various other tools just fine. I connect via Power BI and it will show sample data and show all of my column names in the Fields section, but when I add anything to the visual I get an error the warehouse is suspended. Google has turned up nothing but possible permissions issues, which is not the case here. 

How can I get Power BI to allow me to use my Snowflake data?

Comments

Hi @Dbro020

Which kind of connection mode do you use when connecting to Snowflake, import or DirectQuery? 

If it's DirectQuery mode, please change it to import mode then test again to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Frequent Visitor

I am using DirectQuery. This is a large database that I need to query varying timeframes and levels of granularity, so import isn't really a good option. Does PowerBI not play well with Snowflake in DirectQuery mode?

Hi @Dbro020

As you are using DirectQuery, when you drag fields to any visual, Power BI retrieves data from Snowflake. In your scenario, I would suggest you check if the Snowflake is suspended at the time that you create visuals in Power BI. See: https://docs.snowflake.net/manuals/user-guide/warehouses-tasks.html#suspending-a-warehouse

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Frequent Visitor

The warehouse is not suspended. I'm able to run queries with several other tools just fine at the same time I'm receiving this error from Power BI. I never run into this problem with any other tool, but cannot do anything in Power BI because it returns this error every time.

Idea Statuses