Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Snowflake warehouse (is not) suspended

I'm trying to connect to Snowflake. I'm able to do this with various other tools just fine. I connect via Power BI and it will show sample data and show all of my column names in the Fields section, but when I add anything to the visual I get an error the warehouse is suspended. Google has turned up nothing but possible permissions issues, which is not the case here. 

How can I get Power BI to allow me to use my Snowflake data?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Which kind of connection mode do you use when connecting to Snowflake, import or DirectQuery? 

If it's DirectQuery mode, please change it to import mode then test again to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using DirectQuery. This is a large database that I need to query varying timeframes and levels of granularity, so import isn't really a good option. Does PowerBI not play well with Snowflake in DirectQuery mode?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

As you are using DirectQuery, when you drag fields to any visual, Power BI retrieves data from Snowflake. In your scenario, I would suggest you check if the Snowflake is suspended at the time that you create visuals in Power BI. See: https://docs.snowflake.net/manuals/user-guide/warehouses-tasks.html#suspending-a-warehouse

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

The warehouse is not suspended. I'm able to run queries with several other tools just fine at the same time I'm receiving this error from Power BI. I never run into this problem with any other tool, but cannot do anything in Power BI because it returns this error every time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding an answer since this hasn't been properly resolved and I ran into the same (infuriating) issue.

The problem is that the default role you are logging in with does not have usage permissions on the warehouse you are trying to use.  The solution is to make sure the default role for the user you are logging in with has usage permissions on the warehouse that you type in to the Power BI.  Once that is resolved, you will stop getting the spurious "warehouse is suspended" error.    

This problem still occurs if your user has access to the warehouse under a different role.  You must make sure that the default role for that user has access to the warehouse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

BUG FIX REQUEST: Please don't check for Usage permissions to see if the warehouse is suspended.

I have three active Snowflake customers that all use the Auto Resume feature. It's apparent that Power BI during the Get Data process skips this check because it can enumerate the schemas and tables just fine with a warehouse confiured with Auto-Resume. However, the Data Preview pane fails to show the data because of the check to see if the instance is connected.

Thanks,

Bill

jorge-gt3
Regular Visitor

I had the exact same issue and everything started working after installing both ODBCs listed on this page.

https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/odbc-windows.html

At first I installed only the 64bit one, but it didnt work, so I tried the 32bit one and everything started working after restarting PowerBI.

castanheiro1982
Frequent Visitor

Hi Jorge,

did you setup odbc 3bit or just reinstalled it?

im having the same issue as you guys had, but already installed both 32 and 64bit versions and still finding the same error

thanks

jorge-gt3
Regular Visitor

I installed both, but I did not have to configure them. Make sure you are specifying the Snowflake Warehouse and not just the server. Also, make sure the user role on Snowflake has access to that Warehouse.

Pranay_Sharma
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous Thanks, I was not providing the exact Role Name,also in Warehouse field I was using Database name. This clarified the issue and its working now. Appreciate it.