Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Snowflake SSL error in both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service

Yesterday morning (3/10/2020) data refreshes from Snowflake to both Power BI desktop and Power BI services started failing with an error message of 'SSL server certificate status verification FAILED'.  We found it odd that when using Power BI desktop some smaller refreshes would work whereas the larger refreshes failed.  A ticket was submitted to Snowflake to which they replied that they were having some issues on their Azure US-East 2 instance.  Snowflake support explained that smaller workloads (say under 1000 records) are handled directly by their servers, whereas larger datasets are exported from Azure buckets, which would explain why the smaller imports were still working.  They suggested we do several troubleshooting steps including the latest ODBC drivers.  This seemed to conflict with other documentation suggesting that the latest version of Power BI desktop has the ODBC driver embedded.  Note the failure seems to be timed with an update to the Power BI desktop that was automatically installed via the Windows store.  Snowflake also suggested we start troubleshooting our network to see if we are blocking necessary ports. 

Note that Snowflake no longer requires a gateway to refresh the data in the service.    It seems to me if the Power BI Service which sits in Azure can’t refresh data directly from Snowflake (which also sits in Azure, but at a different data center for us), then the SSL failure must be an issue with Snowflake or Power BI and not our network.  Also it seems that there have been others reporting this same issue.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@JonnyPBI 

Take a look at ODBC Configuration and Connection Parameters and create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

JonnyPBI
Advocate I

@v-chuncz-msft Thanks for the links.  

One of my coworkers has already created a ticket with Snowflake.  They are aware of the issues and had suggested us using the generic ODBC connector as their work-around.  IMO, this isn't a usable workaround.  It requires many changes on our side which translates into hours of work for a relatively small amount of tables.  We are in the middle of testing this but have noticed horrible performance and a subset of functionality.  We'll also have to revert back to using gateways to refresh the data.  Worse yet, all this work will have to be reverted once the permanent fix is in place.  This solution is a non-starter for our larger sets of tables.

JonnyPBI
Advocate I

The issue is now fixed with the latest release of Power BI desktop and the service now works as well.  From a consumer perspective I'm not very happy with how the issue was handled.  Both Snowflake and Microsoft led consumers down a path of unnecessary troubleshooting. In my organization alone this caused several people many hours of troubleshooting.  The suggestions ranged from network sniffing of ports to the redevelopment of all ETL processes using Snowflake.  All this when the issue was 100% between Snowflake and Microsoft.  This issue effectively shut down refreshes of our EDW for several days.  Communication from both Microsoft and Snowflake needs to be better in the future.