Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Slow DB2 refresh Power BI Desktop

Hi,

Since December update we have hard time refreshing data with our DB2 database. Previously we were able to refresh around 7000 records a second, now the first 100-150 000 records are relatively OK but after that the pace drop at around 100-200 records a second.

Thanks

Comments
BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

Hi @GTech01,

we already had contact on the Community Board. I postetd a familiar Issue here a few days ago and today i'm havin a Skype-Session with a MS-Ingeneer. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Regards

BjoernSchaefer

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

@GTech01,

as i expected: I have to wait for the new release of PowerBI Desktop January '18. He said that he will forward this issue to the developer Team of PBI Desktop. Maybe we'll have to wait till February. When nothing changes, i'll have to open a new Support-Ticket.

Regards

BjoernSchaefer

robarivas
Post Patron

Something is definitely wrong. I'm experiencing this same issue. My operational leaders who rely on my reports are coming after me with pitchforks. If this isn't resolved immediately I'm afraid the organization wil turn its back on Power BI altogether. In fact the issue extends to published reports (not just manual refrshes in the Desktop client). Over the lat week or two virtually all of our published reports consistently have refresh failures. I've also noticed that refreshes suddently seem to bringing the CPU to its knees (maxing out at 100% CPU utilization) , which isn't something I ever noticed before. Somebody please help!!!

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

Hi @robarivas,

i already opened a new Support-Ticket at Microsoft. I guess i'm having a Skype-Session this week with one of the "Engineers". I'll keep you both up to Date with this.

Regards

BjoernSchaefer

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

This is my current Taskmanager. I'm running a refresh in PBI Desktop for six (6!!!!) hours. Not able to do anything else. The Report contains a table with ca. 4 Million rows. Before December '18-Update the refresh was done within a few Minutes.

PBI Desktop opens way too many Evaluation Containers.PBI Desktop opens way too many Evaluation Containers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any status update on this case?  I am waiting on refreshes and frustrating

robarivas
Post Patron

Just tried the new February Desktop Client and issue remains (maybe even got worse). My temporary solution is to use the ODBC connector instead. It works anywhere from 2 to 20 times faster in my informal testing. Had one major report that was taking 19 hours to refresh when the DB2 connector went bad. After switching to the ODBC connector the report refreshed in a little more than 1 hour!!! Also, haven't heard back from @BjoernSchaefer re: his Skype sesssion with Microsoft. I have my own session scheduled with them on Feb 14th.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, i have to leave my machine here at work to have any new data to work with on some of my reports as well. seems the web service refreshes the data okay but the desktop not at all.  how to switch existing reports to ODBC from DB2 (or point me to the link)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

OH MY HEAVENS. I just added a new data source via ODBC to try the load/refresh difference.  That is stunningly faster. I have been wasting hours of my time on refreshes.  Hoping a fix comes soon!!

So i may just take the code from that ODBC connection and apply it to my other tables

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

Hi @robarivas and @Anonymous,

i tested the February '19 Update yesterday, too and the issue is still occuring. Sorry for my delay. The Essence of my Skaype-Session was: "Please wait for the new release." That's it. I wrote multiple e-mails to the support, but wasn't getting any answers. So. yesterday i benchmarked the Feb'19 Version against the April '18 Version of PowerBI Desktop. You'll be able to find the results in this Issue-Post i generated yesterday.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/IBM-DB2-Connector-still-very-slow/idi-p/621601

Regards

BjoernSchaefer