Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Slow DB2 refresh Power BI Desktop

Hi,

Since December update we have hard time refreshing data with our DB2 database. Previously we were able to refresh around 7000 records a second, now the first 100-150 000 records are relatively OK but after that the pace drop at around 100-200 records a second.

Thanks

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, agreed the connector is "different" now and slower.  the ODBC is a fantastic alternative for speed at the moment but now the service / data gateway refresh is seriously hampering business and decisions which is frustrating as I am working to get this off the ground.

Yes, Bjoern I did update the gateway. I was adding a new server in the cluster and didn't notice the checkbox to update the gateway (toooo click happy)!  

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

@Anonymous,

can you tell me how to confuguire the odbc? I wasn't able to get it running. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

message me your email and i will send you the doc

jwebb2ni
Regular Visitor

Me and a few others at my company have experienced the exact same issue/frustration.  We've all reverted back to the November release.  We see new features getting added, but unfortunately, we're stuck in November/2018 and aren't able to take advantage of the updates. 

We could switch all data sources back to ODBC, which is what we were using before we switched to DB2, but at the time we switched from ODBC to DB2, DB2 was a significant upgrade in performance.....don't really want to revert everything back to ODBC and then have to periodically test DB2 to see if it ever gets corrected.

robarivas
Post Patron

@jwebb2ni I agree completely. However, here is the latest word I've received from the people at Microsoft I've been working with...just so you're aware:

Hope this information finds you well.

As per the latest update from our product team, the fix will be released in next public release of Power BI desktop and On Premises Data Gateway. These are expected to be released in 1st week of April.

Appreciate your patience on this.

BjoernSchaefer
Helper II

Loaded the April ' 19 Update. The queries are loading fast, really fast. Faster than before the Dec'18 Update. Now we have to wait for the new Gateway. Bur i'm glad that i can work with a new version of PowerBI Desktop.

Regards

BjoernSchaefer

robarivas
Post Patron

@BjoernSchaefer I'm jealous Smiley Wink For me, nothing has changed. It actually seems even a little slower now. What type of DB2 are using? LUW? z/OS?

GTech01
Frequent Visitor

We run 10000 rec/s now! 🙂 

robarivas
Post Patron

@GTech01 More like 200 for me Smiley Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

are you querying db2 or you still using ODBC?