Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Slicers not working after data refresh in Power BI Service

I have a Report built with Power BI Desktop Version: 2.74.5619.862 64-bit (October 2019) that uses slicers to sync data across pages. In the desktop version, it works great. the Slicer on the Main page lists all the available entries using then single select option and the other sync'd pages refresh correctly when a new entry is selected. Publish to Power BI Service (US Government instance) and it works great.

THEN, a data refresh occur in Power BI Service, either by manual initiation or by automatic schedule. Now my slicer only shows the entry that was selected at the time of the refresh. No other entries appear in the drop down so I cannot switch to another entry to show it's data. I have to re-publish the file from desktop to get the slicers to work again. This defeats the purpose of the data refresh.

Is this a bug? is there some setting I need to make sure is set so this doesn't keep happening. 

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@roboskoog ,

THEN, a data refresh occur in Power BI Service, either by manual initiation or by automatic schedule. Now my slicer only shows the entry that was selected at the time of the refresh. No other entries appear in the drop down so I cannot switch to another entry to show it's data. I have to re-publish the file from desktop to get the slicers to work again. This defeats the purpose of the data refresh.

I couldn't reproduce your issue. Please check if the values have been changed/removed after refreshed. If not, clear the browser cache and check again.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

roboskoog1
Regular Visitor

I have cleared the cache, and verified that all the entries are still in the data after the refresh, but the slicer only shows one. My colleague who the report was shared with sees the same issue when he opens it. It is not a browser issue. This is in the app.high.powerbigov.us instance.  

What we did notice is a "Yes/No" field from SharePoint shows as "TRUE/FALSE" in Desktop while in Service it shows as "-1/0", this is causing the slicer to "break" as it's looking for "TRUE" not "0", which is what is in the data after the refresh. When we change the slicer filter to "0" in Service, it works. This doesn't explain why the fields are switching when they get to Service though. The query doesn't change, but the output does. I can code a workaround, but would be interested in why the data gets changed in Service.