Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Single Gateway Connection to multiple Databases

I built a Power Query Source = sql.databases("SERVERNAME"). It returns all DBs on the server, and all DBs share an idential schema. I filter & expand to get the same table across all DBs, and see all checked out files. This works great in PBI desktop, and I can publish the report without issue.

When I go to add the gateway connection, I'm forced to select a single DB on the server, and I cannot map the connection between my data source, and the gateway. I've tried using "*"," ","master","null", and other combos, but nothing works. Is this possible? Screenshots attached...

Samson217_0-1675787527192.png

Samson217_1-1675787565193.png

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Samson217 

You mentioned "I'm forced to select a single DB on the server, and I cannot map the connection between my data source" , can you explain it in detail ? From the first screenshot , the second data source corresponds to having an add to gateway , you can add the corresponding data source through this .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Samson217 

You mentioned "I'm forced to select a single DB on the server, and I cannot map the connection between my data source" , can you explain it in detail ? From the first screenshot , the second data source corresponds to having an add to gateway , you can add the corresponding data source through this .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Samson217

Thanks @v-yetao1-msft  for following up. My PBI desktop SQL datasource connects to the SQL server, without specifying a specific DB (I want to get the same table from 10+ idential DBs). However I cannot create a gateway connection without specifing a DB on the server (screenshot 2).  If I do specify a DB during gateway connection setup, I cannot map my datasource to the connection (screenshot 1). What I really need is for the DB name on the gateway connection setup to be optional. 

MComminsALC

I have a very similar setup and problem where the query includes more than one database on the same server, but only one database can be entered in the connection setup. Was a solution found?