Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Show secondary axis issue in workspace

Hello.
I discovered today that in some of the reports (that are currently in the production environment), the secondary axis was visible in the combo charts, even though the Y-axis toggle is switched off.
After downloading the report and opening it locally in Power BI desktop, all was good (meaning both primary and secondary axes were hidden).
I noticed that in edit mode in the workspace the toggle 'show secondary' can now be switched regardless of the selection of the 'Y-axis' toggle (while in the Desktop, when you switch Y-axis off, secondary is automatically off as well).
It's a big issue for me now, cause we use custom values in the start and end of the secondary axis, so disabling the 'show secondary' toggle ruins the formatting.
Can I ask you to have a look at this, it's making some of the reports with combo charts unusable, frankly.
Best Regards
Krzysztof

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 178581781. Will update here once I get any information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

lknoch
Regular Visitor

When is the fix going to be implemented?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I got below information:

1. When the user has not explicitly set the "Show secondary" property for the combo chart: In this situation, the behavior actually being relied upon is the "undefined" state.

a. If the line and column values don't overlap sufficiently (less than 10%), then the "Show secondary" toggle will be set to "On" and both Y axes are displayed.

b. If the line and column values do overlap sufficiently (greater than 10%), then the "Show secondary" toggle will be set to "Off" and only the Y1 axis is displayed. Note that the overlap in the values can change as the result of a filter being applied to a visual (which is why filters can change the state of the toggle).

2. When the explicitly sets the "Show secondary" property for the combo chart to "Off": In this situation, the secondary axis will not be displayed.

3. When the user explicitly sets the "Show secondary" property for the combo chart to "On": In this situation, the secondary axis will always be displayed.

Implications:

The workaround provided is the official way to set secondary axis to "On" or "Off". Even if the state of the toggle appears to be "On" for the user, they may not have explicitly set it to "On". The fix for this is to explicitly set the toggle to on by turning it to the "Off" state and then to the "On" state. Same applies for "Off" state.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

lknoch
Regular Visitor

Thank you Qiuyun.   Seems to me, having the Y-axis toggle switched to off used to and should rightly override the secondary axis's "undefined" state.   Every chart in every dashboard in every report where it is showing now needs to be changed?  Or, is it that MS will fix this bug that was introduced?  When will it be fixed?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I have the same problem.

Here's an example.

This is the setup in PBI Desktop with secondary Y-axis hidden:

inpbi.jpg

And here's how it looks like in PBI Service - secondary axis becomes visible:

inservice.jpg

I think this should work the same way in Desktop and PBI Service, ie. change the service back how it was, when also secondary axis got hidden if Y-axis set off.

lknoch
Regular Visitor

Additionally, when the workaround suggested by Qiuyun Yu is tried, the growth % label then changes, which requires you to change the data label format from auto to none, but then that change triggers another problem, where the % growth disappears in many cases from the chart.  

Hence, we cannot successfully implement the workaround.  It does not make the charts work exactly like they did before the bug was introduced.