Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Show Data - Right Click

I have a Power BI report that is published to the service, I have ticked the box in the desktop report for "Hide the visual header in reading view" and "Don't allow end users to export any data from the service".

The three ... are not correctly not showing within any of the charts, which is great, but when I right click on a section of the chart it gives me the option to "Show Data". If I have opted to not share any data then this option should not be available, hence why raising as an issue rather than an idea.

Kind regards,

Simon

Show Data Issue.png

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research, "Don't allow end users to export any data from the service" option doesn't affect the Show Data option. What you got is expected. 

Also currently, there is no option to disable the "Show Data" feature, you can vote this similar thread: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/35467693-provide-option-to-disable-show-data-option-in-pu

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks for coming back to this so quickly. I agree that the documentation does point to this being the expected result, but in my opinion this does not make it right. 

We all live and work in a time where securing data is extremely important, so for there to be no way to restrict this behavior seems strange. If people kick an options that says "Don't allow end users to export any data from the service", then I would expect this option to be disabled, as in my mind screen printing a data table is still exporting the data.

I will vote of the idea as suggested, but I guess this will take longer than an issue to get implimented.

Thanks,
Simon

Reh
Frequent Visitor

Hi Simon, 

I ran into a similar issue recently. Not an ideal solution, but there is a way to hide that data. For example, you can go to "Data" Tab and select the Table or Column that you need to hide and select "Hide in Report View". This should hide the data even if someone right clicks and selects "Show Data" without hiding them in the visuals. Hope this helps.

Capture11.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestion, I will certainly consider this for future reprorts. I found a workaround as the user did not require to interact with the chart. I placed a transparant shape over the chart and made it appear on top, this then completely hides all the right click options. I accept this is not a workaround that many will want to use becuase it completely removes all tooltips and navigation options. 

junopowerbi
Frequent Visitor

I am here to support Simon. Totally agree with you and I need to limit our end-user activity by disabling this.