Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shared dataset in separate workspace not working with PBI Desktop

Hi there,

Problem: Our users cannot see the shared dataset from Power BI desktop even though we have shared the dataset and give all access (build, reshare, etc) to them.

How to re-create the issue:

1) Create a workspace (new workspace experience), for example: Master Dataset workspace

2) Publish a dataset there, for example: SSAS Dataset (The report can be deleted, just keep the dataset in the workspace).

3) Share the dataset to a user, for example: user A, give him all access (Build, reshare, etc)

But do not put user A as a member in the Master Dataset workspace. Also make sure User A is a member of any workspace. User A has Pro license.

4) Login into PBI Desktop as User A - Get Data - Power BI Service - Couldn't find the SSAS Dataset!

Is this expected or is it a bug? More explanation below.

Our situation and what we're trying to achieve:

1) We are using Azure Analysis Service as our data model

2) We're creating a separate workspace to put all of our certified dataset, maintain it in one place, and making sure only IT has access to this workspace.

3) The "Enterprise" reports will be put to other workspaces and shared as an App ==> Up until here, everything are okay, the users can see the reports just fine as the dataset is shared to them without them being a member of the Master Dataset workspace.

4) We want to allow users to create their own reports using PBI Desktop (Self-Service BI) either as ad-hoc or publish them to Service ==> This is where the problem is. We can't promote self-service BI if our (Power) users cannot even access the dataset.

Regards,

Leo

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I don't have Azure Analysis service data source on my side currently. I test with SSAS multidimensional cube dataset in a none premium workspace, as long as the Pro user has Build permission to the dataset, this user can connect to this dataset in Power BI desktop version 2.70.5494.761 64-bit (June 2019). 

I would suggest you test with other dataset, also update the Power BI desktop to the latest version as ours to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

Thanks for the reply. I did another test as per you instructed. Looks like the problem happen when I gave the build permission to an AD group. It works fine with an individual account.

What I did:
1) Create 2 datasets
2) Dataset A ==> Give access to User A
3) Dataset B ==> Give access to an Azure AD Group (User A is part of this AD Group)
4) Wait for 15 minutes++ to allow the Service do their stuff

Login using User A, open newest PBI desktop, User A can see Dataset A, but cannot see Dataset B.

Can you please try again using AD group and see if you have the same problem on your end?

Best Regards,

Leo

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Which group type of Azure AD Group do you use? 

I tested on my side with Security Group, the user within this kind of group is able to see the dataset in Power BI desktop when using Power BI datasets connector. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Confirmed that it's working now 🙂 Looks like I got some delay or need to wait longer.

We can close this issue then, thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Leo