Shared dataset in separate workspace not working with PBI Desktop
Submitted byAnonymouson06-25-201904:22 AM
Problem: Our users cannot see the shared dataset from Power BI desktop even though we have shared the dataset and give all access (build, reshare, etc) to them.
How to re-create the issue:
1) Create a workspace (new workspace experience), for example: Master Dataset workspace
2) Publish a dataset there, for example: SSAS Dataset (The report can be deleted, just keep the dataset in the workspace).
3) Share the dataset to a user, for example: user A, give him all access (Build, reshare, etc)
But do not put user A as a member in the Master Dataset workspace. Also make sure User A is a member of any workspace. User A has Pro license.
4) Login into PBI Desktop as User A - Get Data - Power BI Service - Couldn't find the SSAS Dataset!
Is this expected or is it a bug? More explanation below.
Our situation and what we're trying to achieve:
1) We are using Azure Analysis Service as our data model
2) We're creating a separate workspace to put all of our certified dataset, maintain it in one place, and making sure only IT has access to this workspace.
3) The "Enterprise" reports will be put to other workspaces and shared as an App ==> Up until here, everything are okay, the users can see the reports just fine as the dataset is shared to them without them being a member of the Master Dataset workspace.
4) We want to allow users to create their own reports using PBI Desktop (Self-Service BI) either as ad-hoc or publish them to Service ==> This is where the problem is. We can't promote self-service BI if our (Power) users cannot even access the dataset.