Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shared dataset bug

Hi,

I am just testing your new brilliant feature with shared dataset, but I think I discovered a bug with which dataset is shown.

So to explain my steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop (June 2019)

2. Select "Power BI Datasets" from the "Get Data" menu in the toolbar.

3. A list of available datasets is shown and one of these dataset is from an app workspace that I previously deleted? It no longer exist if I login to Powerbi.com?

The dataset is a live connection to a SSAS Tabular (SQL2017) model and the app workspace was of the legacy type, hence I deleted this workspace, because I wanted to convert it to the new version of app workspaces, just released a few months ago.

In the screenshot below you can see 2 dataset with similar name but in different workspaces - PBI Sandbox is the old and DELETED workspace and NDK Sandbox is the new workspace.

SharedDatasets.png

Below is the list of workspaces that is currently in this tenant and as you can see "PBI Sandbox" isn't there (I know that is may just be cause I no longer have access to this workspace, but should this have been the case then I should not be able to select it for my report either. But I was the owner of the workspace and I know I deleted it (it's no longer visible under "groups" in our Azure AD anymore either.

Workspaces.png

Comments
sdjensen
Solution Sage

As further information - I am able to build my report on this deleted dataset, perhaps since the Tabular model still exists and connection to it is still setup in the gateway, hence I now use it in another workspace, but after I save the file and try to publish it, I get the error below

CantPublishReport.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @sdjensen

Based on my test, if the workspace which contains a report connects live to the SSAS cube, after we delete the workspace and wait for several minutes, go to Power BI desktop June version, sign in the same Power BI account, the report in deleted workspace doesn't display when we use Power BI datasets connector. 

In your scenario, please ensure the Power BI desktop signed in account is the same one as in Power BI service. Also please clear data cache in Power BI desktop then test again. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

sdjensen
Solution Sage

Hi,

When you write report hope you are meaning dataset? Can you connect directly to a report in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop?

I just tried clearing cache in my client as you suggested and also dobbelt checked that I am logged in with the same user. (I don't have other users in this tenant anyway)

I can still see the dataset the deleted workspace when I try to connect to a Power BI Dataset.

The workspace you tested with was this of the old type that also created an Azure AD user group or of the new type that doesn't create an Azure AD user?

Kind Regards,

Søren