Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shared dashboard not loading via Sharepoint Online Web Part

Hi all.  I'm trying to view a Power BI dashboard in Sharepoint Online using the web part, but sharing the dashboard does not work as documented in the link below.  I've checked permissions on everything, and the dasboard is viewable to a target user in the Power BI service, but in Sharepoint Online they just get a blinking Power BI graphic--and the report never loads.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spot

The only way I can get it to work, is by adding the target user to an App Workspace in the Power BI service.  I would prefer not to use this method because I wanted to leverage Security Groups in Office 365, and just use the App Workspace for developers and content creators.

I did have things working as expected a few months ago, but it required that I take the Embed Link for Sharepoint and omit the &group={GUID} information.  This workaround does not work anymore, because if the link is modified in any way, the properties (e.g. Page, Display, etc.) in the web part configuration pane are reset, and cannot be populated with the altered link.

So, currently I'm stuck with using an App Workspace for sharing reports, since the other method of sharing the dashboard does not work as documented.

Is anyone else having trouble with this?

--Justin H.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@justinhca,

When you publish Power BI report to an app workspace, in order for the users to view the embed report in SharePoint Online, the users should be added as members of the App workspace in Power BI Service. This behavior is by design.

Regards,
Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft as per the documentation, there are two ways, either the user be in the app workspace or a dashboard with a tile from the underlying report be shared with them.

I'm having a similar issue, if I add the user (external guest) to the app workspace then the RLS is overridden.

When I share the dashboard, the end user is able to view the dashboard and underlying report, but not when the report is embedded in Sharepoint Online using the webpart.

Rather than just the blinking logo, I get a "This content isn't available" error, and a semi-colon above the report. On inspecting in Chrome and Mozilla, it seems like it is an authentication error, maybe the token is not being passed from SPO to PBI?

We are using Power BI Embedded.

I have tried multiple browsers, with the same result.

EDIT: Looks like someone else also mentioned a simialar issue: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs/issues/248