Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shared Dataset across workspaces download report permission

Hi All, 

I just wanted to check with you all. We have our dataset on Premium, which we then give users all the necessary access (build and Read permissions). So in desktop they can access and use the shared data source.

They are Admins in their own workspaces (which is a new workspace).

Problem: They publish their own report to their workspace, but when they want to download the .pbix, it gives the below error:

1.png

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Based on my research, the same issue has been reported internally before and this is by design. When we create the report on top of the shared dataset, it treats like the report is developed from the service. Then it hits the limitations

• The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.
  • This feature won't work with reports and content packs originally created in the Power BI service.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft , 

Thank you for you response.

Just wanted to clarify, when it comes to the limitations:

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report.
    • All the users have edit rights
  • The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.
    • The report was created in power bi desktop and published to the service. We have a policy to only develop in desktop.

So I just want to check we have done all the right things, and still they cannot download the reports. If this is by design, how does a community of report developers then develop on the same report? Because the Power BI service does not facilitate all functionalities that are in desktop.

Kind Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft , 

Any feedback for me on this please?

Kind regards,
Estiane de Lange

ahermbre
Regular Visitor

Hi All!

We are experiencing the same error with a similar situation.

Our business users are "contributors" in their own workspace, where there are several reports using "dataset accross workspace". In addition, these users are "viewers" in the datasets workspaces, and have "buil and share" permissions on each dataset.

The situation is that they can see the "download .pbix file" option in their reports, but they get the same error as @Anonymous  trying to download the file.

If the biz users are "contributors" in the dataset workspace, the problem is solved. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in adavace!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ahermbre I am still waiting on a response from Microsoft. 

I does not make sense that if users develop their own reports with a shared dataset connection, publish it to their own workspace (where they are admins in ours), but cannot download the report again.

@v-qiuyu-msft Can you please assist in an reply?

E__
Helper III
Helper III

We are experiencing the same issues, which, as @Anonymous says, doesn't make sense. We don't want te give the users full access to the other datasets in the workspace in which the dataset is published, but we do want to give them the permission to download the pbix-files of their own reports.

@v-qiuyu-msft Is there any workaround? Is this on the roadmap to fix this issue?