Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SharePoint.Files connector not interpreting date fields correctly

Using October 2017 Power BI Desktop (but I suspect the issue has always been present). I am using a en-GB locale, but while this affects the results, it is unlikely to be causal.

In the Query Editor, open a SharePoint Online document library using SharePoint Files connector (API v15).

There are several datetime fields which are identifiable as date-formatted by the following observation:

1) They have the date & time icon in the top left of the column header.

2) When you attempt to do a 'Change Type', they already show as a Date/Time type.

3) Clicking the field's dropdown menu shows that the filtering is selective according to a Date/Time typed data source.

However, the fields are actually not set as date/time fields. They are still text fields. This can be demonstrated by ordering the field from newest to oldest using the following line of code. 

Table.Sort(Source,{{"Date modified", Order.Descending}})

We now see that the field is being ordered as if it is a text field, not a date/time field. Dates such as 31 August 2017 are being incorrectly ordered as more recent than 05 November 2017 because the string "31/10/2017 00:00:00" > "05/11/2017 00:00:00"

The UK locale above accentuates this specific example, but even if we were using an en-US locale we would see the same issue with other dates. For example, 31 October 2016 and 05 October 2017 have problems in en-US because "10/31/2016 00:00:00" > "10/05/2017 00:00:00" as text, but not as a date field.

The workaround is to add a prior step that manually changes the field's data type before performing the field ordering. When we do that, we see that the field values become italic and right-justified - which supports the idea that only then, are they correctly formatted.

Please can you address this in as a matter of importance.

Many thanks,

Geoff Richardson

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 51208178
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted