Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SharePoint Embedded link with filter

Has anyone figured out how to implement url filtering when embedding a PowerBI report using the PowerBI webpart?  Everything I'm reading says this is unspported.  I have various site collections for various clients and I am trying to filter the report based on the client Url basically creating a page in each site to display only the report content for each url.  Unfortunately the filtering doesn't work in the SharePoint PowerBI webpart.  Any ideas/thoughts on how to resolve this.  I'm thinking I would ahve to create a webpage and redirect to that page but hoping there is an easier solution.  

Currently it is not supported in Power BI Service to apply URL filter in SharePoint online, see:

Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL 

You can try to create a webpage and redirect to that page or use the webpart filter as you mentioned as a workaround and glad to hear that.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
dlandry
Helper I

Solved my own issue within the webpart it allows you to turn on and turn off the filtering display so you can embed the report on a site, filter it and then toggle the filtering off which would prevent the end user from changing the filter.  

Update the webpart filter doesn't really work.  I can filter using the webpart filter but for one client but if I want to embed the report for another client it would change the first clients view since its the same report embedded in 2 spots.  I can't use RLS because my PM's are working across multiple clients and we can't have the clients see other client data.  My only solution is to create a unique report or filter my data by each client site.  This is horrible that the webpart doesn't support this.  I guess I will have to redirect to a webpage.

So I wish Microsoft would post this stuff in their instructions to embedded links

Here is the solution go and get your embedded link and then update your filtering based on setting the page name default for page one typically is "ReportSection" and then add in your filter.  See the example below

<iframe width="720" height="640" src="https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=[ReportID]&autoAuth=true&ctid=[ITID]&config=[Config]&pageName=ReportSectionfb03c940d50018e49203&filter=Budget/Brand eq 'Contoso'" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Currently it is not supported in Power BI Service to apply URL filter in SharePoint online, see:

Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL 

You can try to create a webpage and redirect to that page or use the webpart filter as you mentioned as a workaround and glad to hear that.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li