Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Share report via link is not working for existing members of the report workspace

This happens when creating a share link for a report in Workspace A (to the whole organization or to specific members of Workspace A) that uses a dataset from Workspace B.

Existing members in Workspace A does not get access to the underlying dataset i Workspace B when using the share link. 

This does not seem to be working properly since the link should provide access to the whole organization regardless if the recipient is member of the report workspace or not?

Br,

Magnus

Hi, 

As far as I’m concerned, the report in workspace A is connected to the dataset in the workspace B using the live connection, so if you just share the report link to the users who only have access to workspace A, they truly don’t have access to the related data. I suggest you to go to the dataset permission to add the end-users to the dataset:

vrobertqmsft_0-1641781556930.png

vrobertqmsft_1-1641781556944.png

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
alexsnell

For all of our organisation, the users have blank "Shared With Me". There appears to be a widespread issue here.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi, 

As far as I’m concerned, the report in workspace A is connected to the dataset in the workspace B using the live connection, so if you just share the report link to the users who only have access to workspace A, they truly don’t have access to the related data. I suggest you to go to the dataset permission to add the end-users to the dataset:

vrobertqmsft_0-1641781556930.png

vrobertqmsft_1-1641781556944.png

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

magsod
Solution Supplier

Hi,

I'm well aware of that there are many other ways to provide the proper access to the underlying dataset.

The reason I reported this is that it truly seems to be a bug with the Share via link experience. In the scenario I provided the expected behavior was that the whole organization gets access to the dataset in workspace B. This is also what indeed happens to the whole organization EXCEPT existing members of workspace A!

Br,

Magnus

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, 

If you want to get a solution for this kind of sharing problem as soon as possible, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft so that they will have a remote session with you to make sure if this is truly an existing issue in the Power BI.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,