Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ServiceNow content pack - Incorrect data

I have connected to our ServiceNow instance by using the ServiceNow content pack in Power BI. 

Number of open incidents:

- In the ServiceNow Incident Dashboard I get 6032 open incidents

- If I create a new measure within the data and do a 'COUNT(open_incidents[number])', I get 6385 open incidents

- When I compare to actual number of open incidents within the service now application, I get 6500 open incidents (Status: Open, Assigned, Work in Progress, Awaiting)

Other data fields: 

- Data fields opened_at and opened_at_date are not listed at all incidents

- Incident Age group have blank values, even though the incident is within one of the groups. 

- I think you have done a count on the incident age group to get number of open incidents, since I then get 6032 as above. 

I have big problems trusting the information in this contect pack. Is it only me that receive errors like this in the data?

Where can I see which filters you use in your measures in this content pack, and which filters you use when you retreive data from ServiceNow?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Cognosben

I can repro the same open incident missing issue, I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 50767649
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

For the data fields opened_at, opened_at_date and Incident Age group, I notice that they are listed properly on my side as below. Could you please provide some screenshots about your repro on your side?

ServiceNow content pack - Incorrect data_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Cognosben
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for reply @v-haibl-msft

See screenshot underneath. 

- The opened_at date are not being displayed on 2069 of 6342 incidents

- There is something wrong with the calculation for incident_age_group. There are in fact not that many incidents in the 90+ Days category. This might be caused of the lack of the date field. 

- I'm not getting data in the fields as you can see in the list below. 

- It also looks like the ServiceNow connector is collecting some incidents that I can not find within ServiceNow. Eg: The first incident in the list, I'm not able to find within service now, the Service Now admins cant find it either. I have ensured that I have connected to the correct enviroment, so this is a mystery though. 

Let me know if you need more info. 

Service Now Connector.png

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Cognosben

The related team need some more info about this issue.

1. There are some limits to what the content pack can show. Can you provide some figures on how many incidents you are trying to get?

Answer: It should be 6500 according to your description.

2. What is the number of days you are using?

3. Which table in the content pack that isn't matching, the open incidents, the recently resolved incidents, etc.?

Please note that there is a limit of 12,000 most recently "resovled_at" incidents, OR all resolved_at incidents in last 2 days; whichever limit is hit first

Best Regards,
Herbert

Cognosben
Frequent Visitor

1. Yes, 6500 is the actual number on the day I wrote the first message

2. I'm only interested in the number of open incidents, not recently resolved. I have choosen 0 days and 0 records on the connector. I have however tried again now writing 15 days and 20000 days just to see if the results on the number of open tickets are different, but it's not. 

- If I do a 'COUNT(open_incidents[number])' I now get: 6419, and in Service Now there are 6585 open incidents/requests. The open_incidents measure gives me: 6199

3. It's the open incidents table that isn't matching. I have not tested the other tables since those are not that interesting for the reporting I do.  

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Cognosben

Could you please use the Power BI Template file with the ServiceNow custom connector to capture the fiddler traces and see what the API returns. 

Please find attached the ServiceNow PBIT as well as the custom connector. Capturing fiddler traces can help us understand what the API returns and where the discrepancy is. Please make sure that close other non-related browsers and enable following option before capturing. You can share the .saz file through online file service like OneDrive.

About how to use or set up the custom connector, you can take a look at this blog.

Fiddler.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Cognosben
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft

Do I just copy the whole M script in the .pq- file and then do a 'Build Solution'?

Do I write anything in the query.pq-file? 

I've tried to copy the whole script in the -pq.file and written this in the query.pq-file:

"let
result = ServiceNow.Contents()
in
result"

Not able to see the connector in PBI after doing a build and copying the file. 

I have tested with the helloworld script, copied the .mez file and can see that in PBI. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Cognosben,

To use Servicenow .pbit file with ServcieNow.m file, please follow below steps: 

- Create a "[My Documents]\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors" directory 

- Copy the extension file into this directory 

- Enable the Custom data connectors preview feature in Power BI Desktop (under File | Options and settings |Options| Preview Features| Custom data connectors) 

- Restart Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu