Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Service holding on to incorrect web credentials - Cannot schedule auto refresh

After making some changes to the source url for a Json file, the web credentials will no longer work. It says that it can't locate the file (404) which is correct because the updated pbix no longer refrences that file anywhere.

I tried renaming the file, publishing to another workspace, etc. But have stopped short of deleteing it and republishing due to the quanity of people it is shared to.

Any other options? Any thoughts on how I can clear out the web creditials at the file level? I tried removing the permissions and location, but that just kills the url parameter string. After I reneter the data, it keeps looking for the old json file.

2017-08-10_10-35-38.jpg

Comments
joeltorby
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this raised issue, I am stuck with the same thing. Soon it's the end of 2018, do we have any updates from MS on this? Otherwise it might be suitable to raise a new ticket and ask the support directly? @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@joeltorby I haven't recieved any word since March. If you go back a few posts you'll see the last corespondence I recieved. I was told it should be fixed by the end of this year. But doesn't look that way.

joeltorby
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous that's quite frustrating. I'll notice them that we are still interested in them solving this bug, as they promised to.

joeltorby
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous I got answered by the Microsoft Power BI team and their answer helped me find the solution.

My original problem was that my cURL-api was time limited, so first when I imported the data in the desktop and published it to the Power Bi webservice it worked, but when I came back the day after it didn't work. 

My first attempt was to upload new data with another cURL-api-key and republish it. That didn't work and I got this similar error when I tried to schedule refresh at "Edit credentials" with a gray url which wasn't possible to change.

This was solved by:

Going to the desktop version of Power BI.

Click on Edit Queries.

In the left bar in "Queries", delete the dataset which was imported with a non-working api.

Close and Apply.

Click on Get Data and import the data again through the cURL.

Publish to the web service again and overwrite the old version.

Now when I move back to the web application again and click on "schedule refresh" and "edit credentials" the url is changed. Note that the url is still gray and you can't change it manually, but it has been updated correctly.

I see this as a workaround that works quite well even if it's not really a perfectly working application. Hope this could help someone!