Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Service holding on to incorrect web credentials - Cannot schedule auto refresh

After making some changes to the source url for a Json file, the web credentials will no longer work. It says that it can't locate the file (404) which is correct because the updated pbix no longer refrences that file anywhere.

I tried renaming the file, publishing to another workspace, etc. But have stopped short of deleteing it and republishing due to the quanity of people it is shared to.

Any other options? Any thoughts on how I can clear out the web creditials at the file level? I tried removing the permissions and location, but that just kills the url parameter string. After I reneter the data, it keeps looking for the old json file.

2017-08-10_10-35-38.jpg

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From your description, it seems the web URL of Json file is changed while the dataset keeps connecting to the old URL when you edit credential in Power BI service, right?

In Power BI desktop ( try to run the latest version 2.49.4831.521 64-bit (August 2017) ), please open the report, go to Data source settings, click Change Source to change URL address points to the new Json file. Then click the Edit Permission to reenter the correct credential.

q2.PNG

Open Query Editor, go to Advanced Editor, check if the URL specified is pointing to the new file actually.

q3.PNG

Then save the report, republish it to replace original one in Power BI service to check if you can edit credential successfully.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately that didn't work. The old JSON URL is only persisting in the published dataset. None of the multiple files and multiple sources within those files that use the base URL references that JSON file any more. However it's stuck.

I even tried deleting the datasources (which broke everything as expected) republished with the broken data source links, re-added the full URLs, and re-published, but it still wants to hold on to the old URL.

I don't need to edit the credentials. Access is anonymous. The problem is it won't auto refresh. But I can manually refresh all-day.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

It's too strange that the data source persists pointing to the old path. Please create a support ticket to get dedicated support.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Vicky. I submitted a support ticket. I am a Pro user but didn't see anywhere to identify myself as such. 

Case # 117081616196210

Anonymous
Not applicable

So this issue still remains and Support has stopped responding to my emails. 

Power BI service is not allowing any scheduled refresh from an entire domain due to a old reference to a json file on the url.

I created an entirely new pbix with the September update. created a blank query with just a single step for the source and power bi service fails.

The source string does not reference any files at all but power bi service attempts to access a file that has never been used ever in the new pbix file.

I know I repeated myself a lot there but hopefully I'm getting my point across.

cbl
Frequent Visitor
Hi, I am experiencing this exact same issue. I have tried all work arounds, however the service keeps holding on to an old URL path, that no longer works. Can't find any solution to this issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cblhere is some correspondence i've had with MS about this. Long story short, there is no real workaround except for having someone else publish or totally nuking everything remotely related to domain used in the url. It won't even be looked at until the second half of this year. Which is right around now or in 6 months. lol 🙂

Monday, January 22, 2018 7:41 AM

"This is a medium sized task and we need to prioritize this effort.   Below are some of the mitigations available and I understand these are not the ideal solutions until we make the design change

• Have another user publish this datasource, so the one stored in database is not used.
  • Ask the user to delete all the models that are associated to this datasource."

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:21 AM

"Unfortunately, I am the bearer of bad news. The PG reviewed the issue and have responded that this fix will require a design change, not a simple code fix. They are stating that the change is projected to be worked on in the second half of 2018."

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:38 AM

"Here is a summary of the issue for your records:

PROBLEM:

=================

Description: published a dashboard, getting error when refreshing it / “failed to update data source credentials- 404 not found”, status code 400

-Created a case: yes

-Routed to: Routing Power BI\Dashboards

Error(s): “failed to update data source credentials- 404 not found”, status code 400

=================

CAUSE:

=================

The Power BI service is not updating the connection string details for a web source after there is a change to the source.

Initially the source works. After refreshing the PBIX file with a updated connection string and publishing, the Power BI service is caching the old connection string and refresh is failing.

=================

RESOLUTION:

=================

Per the PG this is not something that can be resolved in the backend without code change. The change is pending, but no ETA can be provided at this time. To mitigate the issue, another user can publish the updated PBIX which would update the string at that time, or all published content needs to be removed from the service and recreated. Either option fixes the issue one time, but any further changes to the string will require the same mitigation steps to completed again. Any shared content based on the effected PBIX would also need to be removed and shared again.

================="

cbl
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous, thanks for the info. Publishing the report in a different user context did the trick.