Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Service Refreshes only partially

TL;DR: Refreshing datasets (on demand and scheduled) in Power BI Service are only partially loading from the source without prompting any errors.

Similar to this post. I have commented there as well.

I have a collection of reports all suffering from the same issue. Here have been my reproduction steps:

1. Refresh a local copy via Power BI Desktop. -- this will be 100% data complete. 
  2. Publish to web. -- Data matches the local copy still.
  3. Refresh the data set (manually or via Scheduled Refresh). -- Data is now only partially loaded with 0 errors occuring according to Refresh History.

From this point, I download the now-incorrect .pbix and seach for common themes in the partially loaded data. I have noticed that some of the queries will be at exactly 1000 or 2000 rows of data (when the underlying SQL tables are definitely larger than this). Is there possible batching or chunking of data that is erroneously thinking it is complete?

Supplemental Information:

1. Data source is Azure SQL Server.
  2. Data is not missing from our SQL DB. 
  3. First noticed occurrence on 2018-07-25.
  4. I am on Power BI Pro.
  5. Publishing from Power BI Desktop from the Windows Store. -- I am going to download Power BI Desktop from the website and try this same test.
  6. I am not opted into Incremental Refresh.

Some of my tests and results:

1. Azure SQL Server is too heavily taxed -- I would expect this to prompt a timeout or similar error.
    • I ramped up our DTUs to the next tier but results are the same.
    • Also, not all reports from the same source are failing.
  2. I tried publishing under a new workspace and a new name (suggestion from my initial support request).
    • Error continued.

Next tests:

1. Downloading Power BI Desktop from the website and seeing if I achieve different results.
  2. Trying various Data Load settings under Options.
  3. Dive into using SQL Profiler on this.

Any further ideas or suggestions?

Comments
carterfritz001
Frequent Visitor

While I was formatting this, I went ahead and downloaded Desktop via the website. Curiously, it fails to load (on desktop this time!) in the same fashion as a refresh within the Service. With this new development, I will definitely foray into SQL Profiler and see what I can learn.

Best,
Carter

edit: clarified sentence

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@carterfritz001,

This is a known issue and engineers are working on a fix. You can keep an eye on update time in Power BI Support site.

Regards,
Lydia

lucas_ng
Regular Visitor

Definitely the same issue I'm facing !!

JorgenEmborg
Regular Visitor

The issue has now dissapeared from the support site - but I still face the problem?

Regards,

Jørgen

carterfritz001
Frequent Visitor

Hi Jørgen,

I'm sorry to hear that. I can confirm that my organization is no longer experiencing this issue. 

Best,
Carter

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are no longer reporting this on support site https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ but for us, problem remains!!! Append query for two MySQL data sources

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-yuezhe-msft

This is no longer being reported but I am now experiencing this. It is a new issue for me this week. Only affects two of my 100 or so data models. Please advise on how to solve the issue.