Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

September update broke use of existing dataset from Powerbi.com

Hi Aviv / Team,

We found a bug in Power BI Desktop September update.

When creating a report with Power BI Desktop to use an existing dataset from PowerBI.com service, if we publish the report it will still create a new dataset with the report name. The same DOES NOT happen with the August version of the Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

P.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@pmdci

I cannot repro the same issue on my side with latest Sep 2017 version. Please refer to my recorded video below and let me know if there is any difference between our repro steps.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

pmdci
Advocate V

Funny. We all managed to reproduct this issue with the September 2017 update back in the office. It works fine with the August update.

Now here is the catch. If we create a blank report with the August version that uses the existing dataset form PowerBI.com, and then we open it in the September 2017 version, then it works as expected. The issue seems to be during the creation of the PBIX file which must happen in the august 2017 version.

Here is how we reproduced the issue in an August 2017 PBI Desktop.

1. Create a new PBI desktop report and select the Power BI Service as the source.
  2. Choose the dataset in question. For us is one called '<CustomerName> Tabular Model' under a workspace with the customer's name.
  3. Create some graphs.
  4. Save the report and select Publis in the ribbon.
  5. Choose the '<CustomerName>' workspace as the destination.

Regardless of the fact that we have chosen the '<CustomerName> Tabular Model' in step 2, a new dataset is created that bears the same name as the report.

As mentioned above, the workaround is to create a blank report connected to the PBI dataset using the August/17 version, then perform the rest of the tasks using the September/17 version.

pmdci
Advocate V

@v-haibl-msft

Hi guys,

This seems to have been fixed in the October update.

Regards,

P.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered