Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

September 2019 Update Blurry on 2nd Monitor Screen

This has just happened with the September 2019 release. Power BI Desktop looks fine on my small laptop screen. Move it across to my larger 2nd monitor and the font is blurry to the point of being unreadable.

I need Power BI on the larger screen so I can see everything so at the moment, the September 2019 release is unuseable

Comments
Frede
Helper I

A tip to everyone that has this issue. If you like me use the Windows Store version of Power BI Desktop (which will update automatically), you can install the "Power BI Desktop" desktop app and use that in until they fix this issue. I downloaded and installed the August version from this site https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive (search "august 2019"). This is assuming that you can get by without any of the changes in the september edition.

rmcclelland
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous This simple workaround worked for me too. Surprisingly easy way to trick the program into avoiding the scaling issue. Still not a full-blown solution to the issue, but very helpful workaround for the time being! Thanks Smiley Very Happy

felixmadjos

Hi Team,

same issue here..pls let me know once bug-fix is available.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I got information below: 

We updated the internal browser components to a newer version in the September release, and this is causing the difference. The root cause is still being investigated. Best workaround is to install August version

https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/B/A/9BAEFFEF-1A68-4102-8CDF-5D28BFFE6A61/PBIDesktop-2019-0...

https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/B/A/9BAEFFEF-1A68-4102-8CDF-5D28BFFE6A61/PBIDesktop-2019-0...

Alternatively, change the monitor resolution to match for all monitors (same scaling %). This only happens when moving Power BI Desktop between monitors that have a different Display Scaling %.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

edhans
Super User

Glad the cause is being investigated. Switching monitors though really isn't in our budget at work. Hoping they get it fixed in time for October's release.

mjc543
Advocate II

Same problem - text blur on second monitors after installing the Sep 2019 update. Rolled back my install to the Aug 2019 update and the problem went away.

I realize software development is enormously complicated, and I appreciate the work that goes into it. However something like this should have been caught during testing. From now on I think I'll wait an extra month before updating because things like this make dashboard development a lot harder than it needs to be. I've dealt with semi-crippling monthly update bugs in Excel with some degree of regularity for years, so I'm a little disappointed to see them creeping into Power BI now too. Maybe the release cycle is too fast? How about quarterly instead? However I do concede that problems are a lot less frequent with Power BI than Excel, since the former was purpose-built for dashboards/reports and the latter evolved as a patchwork-quilt-of-a-business-application over several decades.

georgeoancea

same problem here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Happens to me as well. You can fix it by setting your secondary screen to the same scale as your primary... but for me that means to lose the big screen benefits 😄

vivekrawat08
Regular Visitor

I am also facing same issue.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

The fix will be released with Power BI desktop October version. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu