Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

September 2017 update bug. Unexpected error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

After September 2017 update (2.50.4859.502) we've faced an issue similar to one some users had reported in February: when we try to get data from Analisys Services, where our MS Dynamics OLAP Cube is located, we end up with the following error: 'Unexpected error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. Rolling back to previous PBI Desktop version resolves the issue.

I was hoping this bug would be fixed in October update, but that didn't happen... Smiley Sad

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Fuzzy_Barsik,

There is a Power BI desktop October version 2.51.4885.543 which is released on 10/5/2017. Please update the desktop to this version then test again. 

If issue persists, please share desktop trace log around the time issue occurs. 

Note: Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Fuzzy_Barsik
Helper I

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft.

For some reason I didn't receive a notification about your comment here...

Unfortunately neither October nor November update fixed the issue.

Here are the trace logs.

LuisQuedas
Advocate I

Hi,

that's true... neither October nor November.... I have the same issue with my customer.. after several years investing in the Microsoft SQL Server Analytics Services OLAP cube development, and since last September BPI update they can't use it with PBI anymore... they are starting moving from BPI to Tibco Spotfire...  it doesn't make sense that a Non-Microsoft tool works better with Microsoft technology  than a Microsoft tool... at least for me 🙂    

Fuzzy_Barsik
Helper I

It hasn't been fixed in December as well... Cat Mad

LuisQuedas
Advocate I

Hi Fuzzy_Barsik,

I can confirm still not working... unfortunately  😞

Note, I'm using HTTPS data pump to access the cube  and import data from the OLAP Cube over the internet with basic authentication to my PBI desktop file.... it works using HTTPS data pump when the windows autentication is anabled and I've the windows credentials stored in my laptop... but the problem is that when I've the OLAP Cube running in a different machine than the Web server where the HTTPS data pump is running.. to have it working with Windows authentication, I need to configure Kerberos authentication with SSAS... but some of my customers don't have a domain controller :S ... for those customer the only way is to user the HTTPS data pump with basic authentication, that worked fine until last September PBI desktop upgrade 😞

Luis

Fuzzy_Barsik
Helper I

Still there in January... Smiley Mad

jgallup
Regular Visitor

Confirmed - This is an issue that needs resolution.  Can connect from Excel - why not Power BI?  

@v-qiuyu-msft - Can we get an update?

Fuzzy_Barsik
Helper I

Hasn't been fixed with the 2.54.4970.961 update as well...

Fuzzy_Barsik
Helper I

Another one month has passed...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

There is a new desktop version 2.55.5010.521 released on 2/5/2018. Please update your Power BI desktop to this version then test again. 

If issue persists, please share desktop trace log with us. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu