Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sept 2018 Release - Manage Aggregations - Cannot Sum Decimal Number

--The Issue--

Is it known that the manage aggregations feature, for sum, cannot support a decimal number?  I can choose my summarization method, the detail table but when I go to choose my detail column all the options are grayed out.  I have one version where the field I am attempting to sum is whole another and another that is decimal number, this is why I think its the data type causing this error.

--What I am Trying to Do--

I have 2 concept builds to test out the new aggregations feature.  In Build1, I performed all my aggregations in TSQL and utilized Direct Query.  Everything worked great.  

In Build2, I want to see performance gain/loss if instead of using aggregated tables in TSQL, Direct Query the fine grain fact table and build the aggregations within PowerBI itself (while maintaining query folding).

I cannot utilize manage aggregations in Build2.  I am utilizing Direct Query and returning my fact table with total membership, not aggregated.  I transform my data to set up to be an aggregated table.  I ensure that all my transformation steps is supported by the native query.  Everything goes great, except that the group by transformation took a whole number field (123) and converted it to decimal (1.2.)  This didnt break query folding so I didnt think it was a big deal.

However, when I go to Report view and click Manage Aggregations, I can choose my summarization method, the detail table but when I go to choose my detail column all the options are grayed out. I am fixated that the data type caused this error,since Build1 works fine, but not sure why / how or how to work around it.

I have tried changing the data type in Edit Queries, but that transformation will break query folding.  I would like to maitain direct query so I can utilze Dual Storage Mode.

Any help would be appreciate.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @tctrout,

I'm not very clear about the issue you mean. Please record a video to clarify it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info