Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Selected Outside End for data label on column chart but not being displayed properly

I have position set to Outside End for the column chart yet it's displaying incorrectly with the data label almost inside the chart.

Column chart issue

Comments
v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

To display data labels outside the column bars, you need to enlarge the maximum value of Y-axis. In your scenario, please set the end value larger than 180.

For example.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msftTHanks for the reply but if I hard code the end value that stops the Y axis changing dynamically. The values on Y can vary widely based on filter selection within in the page. Surely this is something that can be fixed within the viz logic for placement?

v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Optionally, you can adjust the height of visual by dragging the border to customize its size.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msftI'm sorry but no matter the size there is always a point where the display forces an outside datapoint inside. Readjusting the chart size is not an option with dynamic data as it is modified by what the report reader is selecting and filtering within the report.

Good chart design requires consistency of behaviour. I'd expect the the chart to respect the formatting values I had applied to it. If I had left the position value as "Auto" then this behaviour would be fine and expected but as I have applied "Outside End" it should respect and enforce this selection. As it is not doing this, I believe there is a correction that needs to be made to the chart visual logic to ensure this behaviour is consistent and as such, this needs to be considered an issue for correction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

I´m having troubles with this same issue. The consumer of the report demands to have the labels always outside of the bar, but regardless of the option "Outside End" it appears in many cases in the edge of the bar as in your example, making it ugly and unreadable. Hardcoding the axis limit is a workaround that works for a particular situation, but makes no sense if the data represented changes. 

Did you find any other way to solve this problem?

Thanks, 

Daniel