Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Second monitor problem

I work using my laptop and a separate monitor using "Extend Screen". Up until recently I could move Power BI Desktop to the top screen and it would fill the screen in all the normal ways (drag window to top of screen, click the icon at the top right etc). Now if I try to do that the Power BI window sits in the top left of my screen, and stays about the same size as my laptop screen. Clicking and trying to stretch the window doestn work. 

Periodically if fixes itself, but I havent spotted the pattern to that yet. Not sure when this started happening, but it's definitely relatively recent. Never had this before, and all other programs working fine.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

Try to select the other monitor and select the recommended resolution settings in display settings like below:

5.JPG

Regards,

Lin

abayless
Advocate II

@v-lili6-msft I have this same problem and it only started in the last couple weeks, and it is certainly not related to display settings. PBI desktop opens first on my smaller laptop screen. Then, once I drag it over to my large second monitor and hit the Maximize button on the top ribbon, it doesn't increase in size at all, no matter how many times I try Minimizing/Maximizing. Like @gapage says, even trying to stretch the window to be larger doesn't register or change the size at all.

However, if you "stretch" the screen to be smaller, then hit the Maximize button PBI will now fill the larger second monitor without issue. I believe the issue to be that PBI is only maximizing the size according to the display size of the monitor it was first opened on -- it does not seem recognize the dimentions of the second, larger monitor once its been moved over. As it still registers the smaller, orginal display size, it won't allow you to increase the size beyond that.

You should test it by opening it on a smaller monitor and then trying to maximize on a larger monitor. Also, close PBI entirely before testing, as this only seems to happen with the very first PBI report I open for the day -- if I've already stretched the screen smaller and then Maximized it it (which seems to "fix" the problem), PBI works fine and doesn't seem to have this issue until the next time I restart my computer. 

I'm on Version: 2.92.1067.0 64-bit (April 2021)

dhannaa
Helper IV

I have the same issue. Thanks @abayless for the tip about streching the window, it helped for now 🙂

Carmichael
Resolver I

Here is the work around I found

1. project on second monitor only

2. Change settings back to extended. 
3. Expand full screen on second monitor works. 

joshmerriman

I've had the exact same issue, this is a Power BI problem not a user-specific problem - I haven't had this issue with any other Microsoft apps. I had to change my main display to a different monitor to resolve. Needs to be fixed.

bavix
Frequent Visitor

I also have the same issue since a few months. This Power BI issue also freezes for several seconds my Snagit screenprint-program that I use for documentations. Very annoying!

staniko

Same problem here, also with Excel Power Query Window. Very annoying.

Nappa
Frequent Visitor

I used to have a similar issue whereby the pbix file was too small on the second screen. The fix I found was to drag and shrink the pbix window as much as possible and then click maximise.

That doesn't happen anymore but what does happen now is - When I drag pbix files to my second screen it will overlap onto my laptop screen and and off the side of my second screen, then it freezes for 5 or so seconds before I can drag it back and resize it.

Annoying.

Display settings are set to recommended.

bavix
Frequent Visitor

In the latest PBI Desktop update the problem has been solved 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bavix I am having the same problem today, so it obviosuly hasn't.