Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Search Box on Slicer Missing

Hello,

The Search Box on the Slicer Visualization seems to have a bug when a PBIX file is loaded to the Power BI Service. This issue is affecting the drop-down format of a Slicer. Also it seems to only affect Slicers with a larger amount of items. When there are 2 or 3 items in the slicer the search box will appear however if there are 20 plus or more items it is not working. I've tried several different browsers, so I don't believe that is the issue. Below are screenshot showing the search box has been enabled and the missing search box when you select the drop down. Please help!!! We're on the verge of rolling out hundreds of new Power BI accounts and this is a serious issue when you have large slicer needs.

Search On.jpgSearch Not Showing.jpg

Comments
kimani
Power BI Team

Sorry to hear that. We have a known issue that if the slicer is very skinny, the search box may not work. We have a fix coming for this, but in the meantime, try and make the slicer slightly wider. 

gooranga1
Power Participant

I thought this was going to be fixed in the February Update? Still broken after updating power bi to desktop version.

kimani
Power BI Team

Can you give me more details about the specific issue you are seeing with the slicer? 

codyj710
Frequent Visitor

Hi @kimani, I'm still seeing the same issue you've described...

The slicer, when in drop-down mode, does have the search box visible, but the smaller the size of the slicer, in proportion to the length of the text field, the more difficult it is to click into the search box.

You're correct that making the slicer bigger appropriately enables clicking into the search, but the whole idea around the drop-down was to save space on the report!

It sounds like you guys know it's still a bug, but can you give us some idea when this remaining issue with be resolved?

Thanks,

Cody

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Just retested this with the Feb 2017 release of Power BI Desktop - I'm seeing the same issue as reported by @kimani and @codyj710 above.  That is very disappointing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see the same issue not yet soved after few week ... I think that when there is a "bug" a prompt solution it's needed. There are a lot of filter in my report (with a huge number of occurence) that are useless.

kimani
Power BI Team

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. We have a fix for the search box not working when the slicer is skinny. We have a fix for this coming out in the March release. Thanks for the info and repro steps. Sorry for the trouble. 

codyj710
Frequent Visitor

Hi @kimani 

Thanks for the update. Look forward to the March release then! Will the function be fixed in the Power BI Service in conjunction with this? I'm sitting on the release of the drop-downs into reports till I know it's operational both in Power BI Desktop and the service.

Thanks,

Cody

kimani
Power BI Team

Yes @codyj710 it should hit the Power BI service the same week as the Desktop March release. 

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I just tested this using both PBI Desktop and app.powerbi.com - it seems to now be working well, even with a very narrow Slicer visual (e.g. only showing 4 characters at 8 point font).