Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Schema updates not updated on PBI Service after report refresh

We are connecting Power BI Desktop with our custom data source which implements Postgresql Protocol and gets connected with the PBI Postgresql Connector. W.R.T. to Power BI Reports reflecting the schema evaluation changes into custom data source tables, We have found that Power BI Desktop reflects the schema changes correctly (column addition) when schema change done at the source table, but PBI Service does not replicate same behaviour.

Also found this behaviour similar on the Native Postgresql database, on which the Custom Data Source Protocol is based of. Please see the below details.

1. PBI Report on Custom Data source
    schema_eval_1.PNG
  2. Re-establishing session (closing PBI desktop and re-opening) followed by a refresh shows updated schema.
    schema_eval_2_after_session_re-est.PNG

While the same behaviour, we couldn’t get reflected on Power BI Service (maybe due to a session refresh? Not sure)

The only difference between Native Postgresql and our Custom Data Source is that Native Postgresql reflects schema changes in the same session (without closing the PBI desktop) while the our Custom Data source needs a new session to see the updated tables, if this details helps.

Could you please look into the Power BI Service area to have the same schema updates reflected there? Please let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

Himanshu

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @himanshu_pandey 

Please refresh the dataset and then click on Refresh button on report page in Power BI service.

now please check it if works well as desktop.

Regards,

Lin

himanshu_pandey

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the steps you mentioned (dataset refresh followed by report refresh) but still couldn't see the updated schema in Power BI Service.

I'm attaching the PBIX file link here for you to replicate/explore.

This pbix file has one table in DirectQuery Mode, and one card visual that just shows the count of rows in the table.

The pbix file is created and saved when the table has only 3 columns in it. After that, I added two more columns to the table.

Opened this file in Power BI Desktop before and after adding the columns and here is what it looked like.

• Power BI Desktop before refresh (original pbix file -> with 3 columns)
    desktop_before_refresh.JPG
  • Power BI Desktop afteer refresh (original pbix file reflecting 2 added columns)
    desktop_after_refresh.JPG
  • Power BI Web Service after refresh (not reflecting additional 2 columns, after dataset is also refreshed)
    service_after_refresh.JPG

Could you please try replicating the same with the above attached pbix file at your end? Maybe if you observe the same thing and can have us connected to the power bi engineering for this issue.

If you require credentials to connect, please can you send me an email to my registered ID and I should be able to share that with you. The credentials will be valid for 24 hours.

Thanks very much for the help.