Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Scheduled refresh failed occasionally - Solution

Hi All, 

I have multiple dataflows to siphon data from onprime ERP Database. While I am experiencing occassionally failure in dataflow refresh randomly on any dataflow (20% rate on scheduled refresh, 0% on manual refresh test), I wondered how you are dealing with the issue as most posts regarding this same issue all came into no answer.

If you have a series of dataflow feeding a couple related reports, which including all from staging, transforming, erichment to published dataset, how to you distribute this series? Will you have the series span in multiple workspace or single workspace so you could achieve the least delay time of data presentation (30 mins)?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Hi @rdnguyen ,

Refreshes, like queries, require the model be loaded into memory. If there is insufficient memory, the Power BI service will attempt to evict inactive models, and if this isn't possible (as all models are active), the refresh job is queued. Refreshes are typically CPU-intensive, even more so than queries. For this reason, a limit on the number of concurrent refreshes, calculated as the ceiling of 1.5 x the number of backend v-cores, is imposed. If there are too many concurrent refreshes, the scheduled refresh is queued until a refresh slot is available, resulting in the operation taking longer to complete. On-demand refreshes such as those triggered by a user request or an API call will retry three times. If there still aren't enough resources, the refresh will then fail.

Hope this helps you understand some of the temporary refresh failures.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @rdnguyen ,

Refreshes, like queries, require the model be loaded into memory. If there is insufficient memory, the Power BI service will attempt to evict inactive models, and if this isn't possible (as all models are active), the refresh job is queued. Refreshes are typically CPU-intensive, even more so than queries. For this reason, a limit on the number of concurrent refreshes, calculated as the ceiling of 1.5 x the number of backend v-cores, is imposed. If there are too many concurrent refreshes, the scheduled refresh is queued until a refresh slot is available, resulting in the operation taking longer to complete. On-demand refreshes such as those triggered by a user request or an API call will retry three times. If there still aren't enough resources, the refresh will then fail.

Hope this helps you understand some of the temporary refresh failures.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

rdnguyen
Helper V

@v-xiaoyan-msft I understand what you mean, but when you said "...the scheduled refresh is queued until a refresh slot is available, resulting in the operation taking longer to complete...", I would disagree based on my observation.

I have a cluster of 3 gateways checked online. The dataflow randomly left spinning in refresh (about 20% of the time); either I started a new refresh request on other dataflow series per scheduled or manually at that itme, that's all gone through, except the prolonged spinning dataflow as mentioned.

This tells me that the dataflow is assigned to a certain gateway (1) could not back out if stuck spinning down the path. And many times I noticed if I had multiple dataflow stuck at spinning (prolonged refresh), (2) the queue waiting for healthy - free workload gateway does not seemed existed as when the 1st dataflow stuck in gateway 1 for example, the later dataflow instead of being hold in queue to be routed to other healthy gateways, rather not, they are continously pushed down to the gateway assignment based on distrubing mechanism. As the matter of fact, some of those would be stuck at refreshing as going down the traffic jam path.