Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Scheduled and Ondemand Refresh fails

For the past 1 week, the Scheduled and Ondemand Refresh fails with the error message 'Unable to connect to the data source undefined'.  There is no problem in connecting to the data source.  The refresh process runs for a more than a hour and finally fails with the error message.  When I click on the show error message, I do get the below message as in the screenshot.  With this message, I am not sure what's the real cause of the error.  Kindly help to revert to me on this issue.  If you need any more details, please do let me know, I can provide.  Thanks.

sumathymohan_0-1671155469811.png

Hi @sumathymohan ,

We do have customers who have had similar experiences to yours, and this is a problem caused by the gateway version.
Can you provide us with your gateway version for further confirmation?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
sumathymohan
Regular Visitor

Hi,

With the same connection and the same settings, the scheduled refresh is running successfully for a couple of times.

When the refresh fails, I could not get the proper error message from the gateway logs too.  Below is the partial error logs from the Gateway.  Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve this issue.

sumathymohan_0-1671414089490.png

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2022-12-16T04:15:43.9151989Z DM.EnterpriseGateway	d6036ee1-12c9-4425-ad7c-28a8e5ca6fbf	ab5c0d90-c37b-6b25-bd3d-7f2f4b25b68a	MGPS	3aa2eb62-1777-47bb-89a6-fd4de2e267c9	27b8d836-4183-41de-b3db-76b04c54b032	27b8d836-4183-41de-b3db-76b04c54b032	7D19CC29 [DM.Pipeline.Common] Non-gateway exception encountered in activity scope: Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupValueException (0x80004005): MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.
   at Microsoft.OleDb.Serialization.PageReaderDataReader.Read()
   at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupReader.Read()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.AdoBinaryWriterSerializer.<Read>d__11.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.AdoBinaryWriterSerializer.<Serialize>d__10.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeAdoQueryResponse>d__15.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeAdoQueryResponse>d__15.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<<SerializeImpl>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Metrics.PipelineMetricUtils.<MeasureQueryOperationAsync>d__3.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeImpl>d__14.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<<Serialize>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayPipelineTelemetry.PipelineTelemetryService.<ExecuteInActivity>d__5.MoveNext()
DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2022-12-16T04:15:43.9151989Z DM.EnterpriseGateway	d6036ee1-12c9-4425-ad7c-28a8e5ca6fbf	ab5c0d90-c37b-6b25-bd3d-7f2f4b25b68a	MGPS	3aa2eb62-1777-47bb-89a6-fd4de2e267c9	27b8d836-4183-41de-b3db-76b04c54b032	27b8d836-4183-41de-b3db-76b04c54b032	D4868C0D [DM.Pipeline.Common.TracingTelemetryService] Event: FireActivityCompletedWithFailureEvent (duration=349671, err=MashupValueException, rootcauseErrorEventId=0)
DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2022-12-16T04:15:43.9151989Z DM.EnterpriseGateway	d1dc172d-3c93-4d9a-93bd-40a78db103b3	ab5c0d90-c37b-6b25-bd3d-7f2f4b25b68a	MDSR	3aa2eb62-1777-47bb-89a6-fd4de2e267c9	27b8d836-4183-41de-b3db-76b04c54b032	27b8d836-4183-41de-b3db-76b04c54b032	35D130C4 [DM.GatewayCore] Error serializing response: Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupValueException (0x80004005): MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.
   at Microsoft.OleDb.Serialization.PageReaderDataReader.Read()
   at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupReader.Read()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.AdoBinaryWriterSerializer.<Read>d__11.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.AdoBinaryWriterSerializer.<Serialize>d__10.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<<SerializeImpl>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Metrics.PipelineMetricUtils.<MeasureQueryOperationAsync>d__3.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeImpl>d__14.MoveNext()

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @sumathymohan ,

We do have customers who have had similar experiences to yours, and this is a problem caused by the gateway version.
Can you provide us with your gateway version for further confirmation?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

sumathymohan
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response.  Gateway version: 3000.146.10.  Please let me know, if you need any other information. This has to be resolved asap as this issue is affecting our business.

sumathymohan_0-1671418356101.png

sumathymohan
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft ,

Any update on this?  The refresh is still failing everyday with the same error.  Can you kindly look into this issue?

Thank you.

sumathymohan
Regular Visitor

I have updated the Gateway to Version 3000.154.3 and I still do have the refresh error.  Can you please look into this issue?

sumathymohan_0-1671682828330.png

sumathymohan
Regular Visitor

Is there any update on this?  We are still having issues in refreshing the data. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @sumathymohan ,

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

sumathymohan
Regular Visitor

Thanks @v-xiaoyan-msft for your response.

I tried to create a Support Ticket but after I fill in all the information on the support request and click on the Submit button, nothing happens.  It just stucks there and no error displayed also.

Clicking on submit button doesn't submit the page or throw any error.  Now I have no way to contact the customer support

Edit:

After I changed the Issue Date and time to current time, I was able to submit the Support Request.  Not sure if there is a bug in the Support ticket creation.  

sumathymohan_0-1672980329922.png