Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Scatter Chart Default Color Overrides Custom Data Colors

The Default Color selection overrides all possible custom color selections in the Data Colors section of the Scatter Chart. I'm unsure when the Default Color selection was added, but I first noticed it with the August update.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @emmet,

Based on my research, Default Color option is available when the Legend bucket of scatter chart doesn't contain any field. It's not first introduced in Power BI Desktop, it has been existed for a long time, at least Power BI desktop May version has this option. 

q6.PNG

You can also set custom colors, you can turn on Show All option and specify desired color for each category. 

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

emmet
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thank you for your response.

I see those same settings. However, upon selecting "Show All" and selecting individual colors, the color immediately reverts back to the Default Color. It seems like a glitch. Has this been previously reported? Any recommendations for troubleshooting this?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @emmet,

Nope. Do you run Power BI desktop version 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018)? Please update to this latest version if not. 

Do you import any custom theme to Power BI desktop? If it is, please share json file. 

Also you can test with our report on your side: https://www.dropbox.com/s/89ptxermkgj5lh4/Scatter%20Chart%20Default%20Color%20Overrides%20Custom%20D...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

emmet
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I am using the most recent Power BI desktop version. I do not use any custom theme.

In the file you provided I was able to set custom colors. Upon comparing the visual settings between our workbooks, I think I found the problem:

I have been customizing data colors on a point-by-point basis depending on how I want to draw attention to certain points, but without defining a field in the Legend. Note that I am not summarizing either axis field.

Upon defining a Legend field, I can once again set the colors. Similarly, upon removing the Legend field from the workbook you provided, I can no longer customize the data colors.

Will there be future options to customize Data Colors on a point by point basis without defining a Legend?