Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

San Sebastian, PR not displaying correctly.

The Power BI Filled map incorrectly identifies San Sebastian, PR (Puerto Rico) as an area in Italy.

I've tried a couple different spellings of San Sebastian, PR but can't find one that Power BI correctly identifies as the city/space in Puerto Rico. Other towns/citys/spaces in Puerto Rico are identified correctly.

Bing Maps seems to be displaying it correctly too, which highlights a disconnect between how Bing is working and the Maps within Power BI.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ahallification

You can use Country - City hierarchy and expanding down function in the filled map to make it work properly. Please refer to following recorded video.

Best Regards,
Herbert

ahallification
Advocate I

Thanks Herbert, 

While that could work, it does not work when at the County level. Other city 'areas' in Puerto Rico display correctly, but San Sebastian does not.

I'm simply trying to report inconsistencies in how Power BI deals with locations to increase it's value and flexibility. 

In this case, most of PR works when stored as a "County". San Sebastian is a notable issue. 

PR as Counties.PNG

Not only that, it shows up all the way in Italy, recentering the map incorrectly.

San Sebastian in Italy.PNG

When I attempted to switch over to cities, as you did, the data set (all of US, your data set was much smaller) did not load anything after 5 minutes. You solution would only seem to work if I was doing a data set focused on just Puerto Rico.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ahallification

If you are using concatenate string like 'citry, country' for the location, you can try to set Data Category to "Place" to see if it works.

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ahallification

Does it work if set Data Category to "Place"?

Best Regards,
Herbert

ahallification
Advocate I

Puerto Rico as place.PNG

Switched data type to "Place". San Sebastian does appear int he correct location, but Power BI treats these more as cities as opposed to Counties, like for the rest of the country. 

With a couple of inconsistencies, the rest of the USA displays properly

• Lake County, IN displays as located in IL
  • Nantucket County, MA does not cover the entirety of Nantucket
  • Nantucket County.PNGLake County wrong.PNG

I feel like for these visuals, I'm the only person doing QA. I'd really love for someone at Power BI to do the similar analysis as myself, noticing all the small inconsitencies of how Power BI treats similar data differently when displaying at the City, County, State, & Place levels. No single solution appears to work correctly, which directs users to using the 'least wrong' version. In a professional setting showing a screenshot of one of the above would raise all sorts of questions like "Why isn't Lake County, IN displaying?" A single error like this on a new platform (Power BI) brings up the question of is this reliable software or not?