Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SQLDUMPER.EXE BlackWindow Closes Power BI

I am getting this error on an off since the december update. I updated to Jan and still get it.  One thing I noticed is that the Power BI desktop application is requesting me to login more frequently now.  I used to always be logged in when I opened the application.  When I go to save or sometimes to publish and I am not logged in, instead of prompting me, it throws the error and crashes.  Please fix the logging in issue back to whatever it was in November.  

The error used to happen when creating a relationship that was many to many (which it tries to not allow).  I believe that was fixed in December update. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1,

The issue has been reported before internally: CRI 58661945. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1,

PG team already filed a bug to investigate this issue. The current workaround for this is to close desktop and sign in again.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

joshcomputer1
Helper V

This is not the same issue as the one in December. Needs to be reported differently. Also, you cannot close out of the application. The error crashes the program and closed automatically. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1,

Thanks for your kindly prompt. I know this is a different issue from desktop crash by create relationships. 

This is the same issue as another users reported here: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-crashes-when-trying-to-publish-without-signi...

PG team are investigating this issue. Would you please share desktop trace log around the time issue occurs? It will benefit PG team to identify the issue quickly. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1,

PG team can reproduce the issue now. Desktop trace log isn't required. Will update here again if I get any new information. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1

The fix will be released on desktop March release. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1,

The desktop March version is released ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331 ) , please test again if issue persists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @joshcomputer1,

Is the issue gone now? There is a May desktop version, you can update to this version then test it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

StWx
Regular Visitor

When launching Power BI Desktop the black screen SQLDUMPER.EXE is shown and it closes Power BI Desktop.  Can't open any previous files.  I downloaded and installed the latest version with the same result. What can I do to get Power BI Desktop to run?