Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SQL connect error

Unable to Connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070542)'"

Comments
adityavighne
Continued Contributor

unable to connect

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adityavighne

Please reinstall your .NET Framework (3.5 or above like 4.5), restart your computer and try again.

Best Regards,
Herbert

zimmerman

@v-haibl-msft

1. Downloaded .Net 4.7
  2. Restarted computer
  3. Tried connection SQL
  4. Same Error Message

Details: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070542)'"

Anything else that I can try?

adityavighne
Continued Contributor

thanks for help.

but I'm already using 4.7

morther
Helper I

I had this exact error and it is not a dot net thing like every post says.  

I found this to be a compatibility issue with Windows 10

Connecting to SQL Server dataset does not work unless you change the compatibility mode of the Power BI Desktop executable.

Right-click the Power BI Desktop icon and choose properties >>> Compatibility tab >>> Change settings for all Users

Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Select Windows 7

I also set it to Run as Administrator

tomg66
Regular Visitor

I also experience this problem and to resolve I only changed the properties of the application to Run as Administrator. You should not have to (nor want to ) change the compatibility level to Windows 7.

I believe this issue was caused because a different administrator on my PC installed the PowerBI Desktop. If it had been installed as Administrator or using the System account this would likely not have been an issue.

liferbadger
Regular Visitor

Found this thread as was experiencing a similar issue

The resolution I found was that the user had saved the credentials used to connect to the database directly rather than carrying those in the connection from the machine they are logged into.

The user had on the day the issue started, updated their password.

Going into the connection settings and either updating these credentials or setting it to pick them up automatically solved the issue.

pbigeek_ac
Regular Visitor

Faced the same issue recently and "Run as Administrator" mode for PBI Desktop resolves the issue. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

SM32262
Regular Visitor

Hi to all ,

First time while trying to connect to AZURE sql server database , I also faced same issue.

I tried many ways but no use, I tried to enter details maually ,Now the error message showing differently .

I tried with latest .net frame work and updated  software also ,still not use.LAB7_Excercise1.JPG

Please check and help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

Please check and provide your thoughts on this.

thaslett
Advocate I

Hello,

I just wanted to add my experience to this. As the Network Manager, I was not comfortable allowing a user to run with admin credentials, so I wanted to find a way around this issue.

I also did have to use Run As Admin to get the connection to work. I discovered that I only needed to do that to establish the connection, though. Once I did, the program could then be run without the Run As Admin option and it would work.

Hope that helps someone.